OP
OP
Lindyreef

Lindyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would be nice to see all parameters in one post so we know what we have to work with.
Your phosphates may be a little high but thats better than being bottomed out in this case. How about nitrates?

Did any close neighbors spray for anything that may have gotten In the house.
It's summer time, are you sure there wasn't a temperature spike while away? We're still grasping at straws playing guessing games.

OP
OP
Lindyreef

Lindyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My a/c has been on while away, if power had gone out my clocks would be needing to be reset so shouldn’t have been temp spike. As for neighbors spraying I don’t know but have had the tank for 4 years now and spraying outside has never caused issue prior. My nitrates test is in the same kit that gave wrong results for alkalinity so I need to get another to test for that I guess. Parameters I know are:
Alkalinity 13
Phosphates .2
Salinity 1.023
Temp is a bit low 74 likely due to water changes back to back within couple days with cooler water. Maybe I need to replace my heater?!
Do any of these sound like they could be the cause? I’m just stumped every thing has been doing so well for so long?! I really do appreciate all of trying to help even if it’s guessing. You’re all much more experienced and can speculate better!

Dcloser12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of your coralline algae turning white? White spots in the middle etc? Your alk is high at 13. I found the golden zone to be about 9. Growth changes and my corals don't like when I spike above 11. At 12dkh my bta all run and hide under the rocks for a few days almost like they can't process light.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I got a different strip test to test the alkalinity
????? Don't use test strips for a reef tank. Use an actual test kit. While none of the hobby grade kits can be relied on to be completely accurate, test strips are the bottom of the barrel.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
????? Don't use test strips for a reef tank. Use an actual test kit. While none of the hobby grade kits can be relied on to be completely accurate, test strips are the bottom of the barrel.

Agree. I own both the API kits and test strips because I wasted my money on junk, in general the cheapest good kit will be Salifert. I mostly use the BRS recommendations for each paran from a few years ago which are here:

My guess is they’d recommend Hannah high range nitrate now over Nyos.

I’d prioritize alk, phos, and then nitrate

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. I own both the API kits and test strips because I wasted my money on junk, in general the cheapest good kit will be Salifert. I mostly use the BRS recommendations for each paran from a few years ago which are here:

My guess is they’d recommend Hannah high range nitrate now over Nyos.

I’d prioritize alk, phos, and then nitrate
API tests are not bad, they're just not intended to be very precise.
Test strips, on the other hand, have 5 or 6 tiny reagent squares with the colors all running into each other.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 135 88.2%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.0%
Back