From FW Planted to SW Reef-Low tech

desperado915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I recently decided to turn one of my three freshwater planted aquariums from freshwater to saltwater. I have been keeping fresh and saltwater tanks for years at various intervals, but it was always tough as active-duty military for 24 years. I would set up a tank and have to break it down every 2 to 3 years and I got tired of it. After I retired from the military, I built a 200-gallon reef tank which I kept successfully for about 5 years until I had to move 600 plus miles for my job. So, it's been a while since I last kept SW fish/corals. I ended up selling almost everything. My 13-year-old son talked me into helping him with a small FW planted tank and in doing so, the bug hit me again. I set up 3 more FW tanks which are mature and stable. Fast forward to the present.

My plan is simple: use as much as I already have available from my FW tanks and only purchase what I need when I need it. The largest FW tank I have is a an Aqueon 40B with aluminum stand, nothing fancy, so I broke it down. All of the livestock went to our other tanks as well as many of the plants as we could fit. I knew I needed to buy SW oriented gear, so picked up a pair of AI Prime16 HD lights, 40 pounds of dry reef rock, and a bag of live sand on sale during black Friday. In the interim, I also purchased numerous incidentals such as reef salt, refractometer, test kits, etc. I picked up a pair of powerheads too. I researched for over a month on this site and others, as well as a copious amount of YouTube videos in order to ascertain what the latest and greatest in reef keeping looked like. Wow, lots of changes since I did this last.

As a prerequisite, I have to have a quiet tank. My fish room is also a guest bedroom, and the wife wants a quiet set up because we frequently have family visit. OK, so no drilling and no sump like I had before (too noisy). I used the old heater (for now) and had my choice of the following that were lying around: Eheim Classic 350 canister filter, Seachem Tidal 55 HOB, and a big SunSun 704B canister filter with prefilter. I decided to use the Tidal 55 for flow and carbon, GFO etc. and made the decision to add the SunSun (gasp!) and prefilter. I figure that I can change any of this in the future. I plan to do maintenance on the filters weekly when I do my 10% water changes.

More to follow

IMG_2301 (1).JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

desperado915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally added the live sand, reef rock and 40 freshly mixed gallons of saltwater. Added the clarifying agent and let it sit until the next day. The next day the water was clear, so I added 2 power heads and the HOB filter. I set up the big canister with 2 kg of Biohome Ultimate Marine, Eheim Substrate Pro and the bottom tray with Eheim Mech. The prefilter has a course, medium, and fine sponge. I plan to clean the prefilter weekly when doing water changes.

I added 2 clownfish and a bottle of Dr. Tim's One and Only. Worked like a charm! This is so much easier than the old way of cycling that I have done previously. I continuously checked the water parameters and found nothing alarming. Tested a lot for ammonia and I never detected any ammonia. Dr Tim's worked well. After 2 weeks the water was still good: nitrate 2.5 ppm and phosphate .25 ppm. I added a Banggai Cardinal and a cleaner shrimp at the 2 week mark. I am at the 3 week mark now and my numbers are still - nitrate 2.5 ppm and phosphate .25 ppm.

If I haven't learned anything in all these years of keeping fish I have learned that bacteria (the good kind) is everything!​

At the 2 week mark I also started Microbacter7. So far, so good. Waiting for the inevitable "ugly" stage.

IMG_2332 (1).JPG IMG_2303.JPG IMG_2333 (1).JPG IMG_2325 (1).JPG IMG_2328 (1).JPG

OP
OP
D

desperado915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Do you have any suggestions for a skimmer? I have thought a lot about this and have never really liked HOB skimmers that I have used previously. I know I will eventually need one. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Do you have any suggestions for a skimmer? I have thought a lot about this and have never really liked HOB skimmers that I have used previously. I know I will eventually need one. Any suggestions will be appreciated!
Welcome aboard. Maybe take a look at the tunze comline DOC in tank skimmers.

OP
OP
D

desperado915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am nearly at the six-week mark now. I added a Pajama Cardinal and a Royal Gramma. I now have 5 fish and a shrimp and water chemistry is still good (low nitrate and phosphate), however I am now experiencing "ugly stage". Gotta love brown diatoms.

My Sun Sun canister filter motor took a dump on me, so I changed to the tried and true Eheim Classic 350. I was able to get all 2 kg of the Biohome media into it with room to spare. Everything is experimental at the moment and is subject to change at any time. I am shopping for an auto top off rig and I know I probably need a protein skimmer.

IMG_2351 (1).JPG
IMG_2358.JPG
IMG_2357.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

desperado915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added an auto top off, a cheap skimmer (Macro Aqua 50 HOB), and a DIY top from BRS. I got the skimmer for a 20 gallon tank I plan to set up for a very good price but decided to try it on the 40B. It is breaking in and I hope to eventually get the dry skim mate I desire. I also picked up an overflow box off of Ebay so I can use it with the pickup on the canister filter. It has done a great job clearing the surface film from the water.

IMG_2365.JPG
IMG_2366.JPG
IMG_2368.JPG

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 32 82.1%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.1%
Back