OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stupid actinic pic I posted . Here's a better pic in my sump . You can see the filter catching all detritus so that the needle valve doesn't get clogged .
Question though.... is there a difference between the filter getting clogged and the needle valve getting clogged? Wouldn't the results be the same?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filter gets clogged after 3-4 months and you will have to take it apart and clean it. The needle valve without the filter will get clogged every so often and not allow proper effluent rate.

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far in 1 year I haven't had any issues with my effluent line clogging. The masterflex keeps a constant drip/flow through the line. Now I haven't taken it apart to look inside the in line.... thats coming soon as I change out the tubing on my pump.

Doesn't help with the air/co2 bubbles accumulating in the top of canister 1 of my Geo. It doesn't happen in the secondary canister.

Still, I might look into that filter... I think that on the inlet side would be good.

Fishnugget

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
d2mini, I've had similar issues with my Geo Reactor and was able to get it working normally but you do have to tinker. This is what helped me,

First and foremost, purge all the air out. by turning your recirc pump off and increase your peristaltic pump speed while shaking Ca Rx. Next,

1. Check the connections to your circulation pump, mine had a leak
2. Set your psi to 4-5psi on your regulator. Just enough to get that bubble.
3. I have an aquarium plants regulator and set the bubble to 6-8 sec/bubble.

This worked for weeks until my ato stopped working and my peristaltic drew up air because the water line in my sump dropped. HTH.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess in the threaded nylon fittings (elbow and straight connector) that attach to the recirculation pump. Remove the Teflon tape and replace it with Teflon paste.

n4s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like a new reactor from geo shouldn't need to have silicone placed on the o rings and Teflon changed to paste in order to prevent leaks for they cost. I would think they would have done this before they send it out to prevent these problems. Either way its a cheap and easy fix that I will try.

Another thing I wondered in the design why the output is in the horizontal position on the T instead of the lid or in a vertical position to allow air/co2 easier to escape. Anyone change the output placement for that reason? I was thinking about doing that but I would like to know the reason why they designed it like that before I changed it.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing I wondered in the design why the output is in the horizontal position on the T instead of the lid or in a vertical position to allow air/co2 easier to escape. Anyone change the output placement for that reason? I was thinking about doing that but I would like to know the reason why they designed it like that before I changed it.
I wondered the same. Seems like that would make it easier for the bubbles to get sucked back down into the pump and chopped up.

wangspeed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I switched mine from pull to push. That seems to have made the bubble situation better but I think the impeller on the AC Sicce pump is bad. I asked him to make me the base and mount for a Varios pump. I cannot stand AC pump humming. I’ll get a replacement for the AC pump after. In the meantime, I’ll continue to dose by hand.

I share D2mini’s disappointment with the Geo reactor at this point.

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I would guess your bubble rate is high and your effluent is too low. Try keeping your effluent 75-100ml per min. Set your bubble rate to about 1 bubble every 1.5 seconds. This dwell time will give the CO2 enough time to dissolve and you won’t have the excess gas accumulating. Then only adjust your pH range. Leave the other two variables alone. These aren’t exact, just a starting point.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess your bubble rate is high and your effluent is too low. Try keeping your effluent 75-100ml per min. Set your bubble rate to about 1 bubble every 1.5 seconds. This dwell time will give the CO2 enough time to dissolve and you won’t have the excess gas accumulating. Then only adjust your pH range. Leave the other two variables alone. These aren’t exact, just a starting point.
I think it's air, not c02. So far so good since I switched back to pushing. But to me that means there is an air leak.
Couldn't tell ya what the bubble rate is... the bubble counter gets a big bubble and then a bunch of tiny ones and keeps repeating.
My controller opens and closes the solenoid based on the effluent ph.

PSXerholic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey D2,

I noticed the co2 check valve right at the reactor.
I did change my one to be located somewhere between the regulator and reactor which made this thing running clean forever ;-)
Lessons learned.

I guess 2 issues you have, 1 is the small pump, I run the big white pumps from GEO which makes the reactor running much smoother. Can't remember the impeller pump brand.

Another thing I changed is that I tied the reactor feed from a T off the main DC pump which is a VarioS and it is very consistent in pressure and flow this way. The needle valve is at the end of the setup prior the effluent goes into the sump. That will run the reactor pressurized not allowing air to be withdrawn by non tight components. Leaks you will notice pretty quick lol. I also have this rubber ring on the probe gland (Simple cable gland).

-Andre

gcrawford

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the older model Geo 6/12 which uses an Eheim pump with clear and black acrylic. I did have a similar issue where I would constantly have too much co2 which caused bubbling and clogging. Eventually I changed out the PH probe with a newer high quality probe and it has been running perfectly now for about 9 months. Turned out it was not reading correctly and causing the co2 to stay on too much. I use the push method, using a maxi jet and a needle valve. It does clog sometimes, but not too often.

biecacka

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also push, from my manifold. I however took off my needle valve for the effluent line and control the water flow via the manifold. This gave me a much larger opening at he end of my effluent line and should be less likely to clog. Only been running it this way for about 2 weeks though, but so far so good.

Corey

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem with alot of bubbles and noise
Mine's been fine since I went back to pushing the water through, rather than pulling.
I suspect some kind of air leak somewhere.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine's been fine since I went back to pushing the water through, rather than pulling.
I suspect some kind of air leak somewhere.

Did you ever replace your Kamoer fx-stp or are you pushing with a Sicce feed pump with the fuel filter?

mitch91175

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope I don't run into this issue with my new setup that I have coming soon. Now and having a little doubt creep in since reading this and absolutely no response from @geo on it even with the mention earlier. If so many people are having an air issue, don't you think that someone at @geo would step in and give some insight on the topic at hand?

Got me nervous right now. :(;Nailbiting

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t overthink it. Looks like everyone setting up to push through the reactor is doing just fine with no bubble issues.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 29 26.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back