Frustrated with Neptune pH probe

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my Neptune Apex a couple months ago and it came with the new temp and pH probes. The first month was great. Then the pH probe seemed to start reading low. Now about 2 months later you can't even calibrate it. It's not dirty. I tried calibrating it a few times here today and when I was done it was reading worse than when I started. I tested my pH with a hannah tester and the probe in the tank is reading 0.3 to 0.4 low. This is after calibration. Two months old.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about that. Always had good luck with their lab grade probe in the past.

The below has served my well

But, there is always a possibility of getting a dud.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Open up a support ticket with Neptune.

+1

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you calibrating? also you are calibrating the unit, per say, not the probe itself.

Also, how do you know it wont calibrate correctly? during calibration just because it doesn't settle at 7.0 exactly does not mean its its not able to calibrate, if the number settles at 6.88 for more than a few minutes, thats fine, because again, you are calibrating the unit to the probe, not the probe its self.

Double check by opening a new packet of calibration solution AFTER your normal calibration, once dipped into fresh calibration solution of 7.0 it should read 7.0, same with 10.
Make sure you are rinsing the probe between the tank, and each buffer solutions during calibration.

hope this helps

OP
OP
vessxpress1

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are you calibrating? also you are calibrating the unit, per say, not the probe itself.

Also, how do you know it wont calibrate correctly? during calibration just because it doesn't settle at 7.0 exactly does not mean its its not able to calibrate, if the number settles at 6.88 for more than a few minutes, thats fine, because again, you are calibrating the unit to the probe, not the probe its self.

Double check by opening a new packet of calibration solution AFTER your normal calibration, once dipped into fresh calibration solution of 7.0 it should read 7.0, same with 10.
Make sure you are rinsing the probe between the tank, and each buffer solutions during calibration.

hope this helps

Did all that. It reads the 10.01 ok but the 7 reads as 7.33 after its all done. And yes I rinse in RO/DI between them. I realize the number doesn't have to settle at what the packet says during calibration. Right now my pH is reading 7.57. There's no way. It was reading 7.63 while my hanna checker was giving me 8.00.

Wagtribe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought my Neptune Apex a couple months ago and it came with the new temp and pH probes. The first month was great. Then the pH probe seemed to start reading low. Now about 2 months later you can't even calibrate it. It's not dirty. I tried calibrating it a few times here today and when I was done it was reading worse than when I started. I tested my pH with a hannah tester and the probe in the tank is reading 0.3 to 0.4 low. This is after calibration. Two months old.
Same here, worked for about 8 months, cleaned and calibrated several times. Then started giving way off readings. I tried to recalibrate and now all it shows is a straight horizontal line at 11.2

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 45 34.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back