Frustrated with salt mixes

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I heat mine while mixing or the salinity won't be right.

You probably understand this, but for others I'll note that salinity is unchanged by heating. Some of the devices we use to measure salinity are sensitive to temperature effects, and while some of them automatically compensate for that effect, some (like a floating glass hydrometer) do not.

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is very well known that Reef Crystals often has brown sludge and normal Instant Ocean does not. Does it always, or just sometimes? Not sure. Are you sure you are using Reef Crystals? How long have you been mixing in that container?

I see you are in Canada. The manufacturer has different factories in different parts of the world (at least last time I was told about it, which was a while ago) and perhaps the Canadian source is different and/or uses a slightly different recipe.
I'm positive I'm using Reef Crystals, lol
I guess it could be sourced material being better here in Canada, but I would have thought the ingredients would be the same across the board, but I guess it could be different. I have been using these containers for a year.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using standard IO for years and I get the brown crud. Could the crud issue be caused by the contain and not the actual salt mix?

I do not know what you are seeing, but the brown stuff that comes with reef crystals is very different than the ordinary precipitation of calcium carbonate, which can take on a brown cast from absorbed trace ions like iron. Perhaps your source water has more metals in it.

This is normal for regular IO:

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Figure 1. The residue on the bottom of the plastic trash can that I use to mix Instant Ocean. I rarely clean it out. The solid is most likely calcium carbonate.​

1614115033432.png

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not know what you are seeing, but the brown stuff that comes with reef crystals is very different than the ordinary precipitation of calcium carbonate, which can take on a brown cast from absorbed trace ions like iron. Perhaps your source water has more metals in it.

This is normal for regular IO:

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

Figure 1. The residue on the bottom of the plastic trash can that I use to mix Instant Ocean. I rarely clean it out. The solid is most likely calcium carbonate.​

1614115033432.png
The brown I seen in my standard IO is a much darker brown and is not hard like you describe. If I stay on top of it, it easily wipes off. If I let it go for months, it can be a little harder and needs to be scrubbed/power washed off.

PBnJOnWheat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't seem to win. My goal is to mix fresh salt water with ideal params and no brown sludge. I'm not finding much luck doing so with various salts. My goal is 400+ ca, 1400mag, and 9 alk

Instant ocean-
Mixes brown(-), 10alk(-)

Fritz rpm-
Mixes more brown than IO(2x-), 8.5-9alk(+)

Tropic Marin pro
Mixes clean(+), low alk of 7(-)

Tropic Marin classic
Mixes clean (+), 9alk(+), lower ca and mag (2x-)

I really want to keep alk swings low as I do awc at night so I don't want to drop alk suddenly. I also want to have salt ready for large changes that won't swing alk. Lastly I'm not really fond of the idea of mixing tm pro and dosing baking soda to hit the right alk because that means I'm testing my stored water frequently AND it has to gas off for 24 hours.

I'd use fritz if it didn't produce so much brown sludge.... How big of a deal is that?
BRS Coral Pro Salt?

Sleeping Giant

Proud Canadian Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You probably understand this, but for others I'll note that salinity is unchanged by heating. Some of the devices we use to measure salinity are sensitive to temperature effects, and while some of them automatically compensate for that effect, some (like a floating glass hydrometer) do not.
I did ended up noticing crud at the bottom of a bucket, if I let the water sit too long without being mixed it would show up like a powder. But I'm good with that.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The brown I seen in my standard IO is a much darker brown and is not hard like you describe. If I stay on top of it, it easily wipes off. If I let it go for months, it can be a little harder and needs to be scrubbed/power washed off.

Curious. I've not heard of that happening to folks using normal IO.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we concerned about the brown crud causing problems in the aquarium or is this just an issue of keeping our garbage can cleaner?
Not trying to be funny but I would like to know if this is detrimental to the life in the system
If not then it doesn’t seem like a big deal to hose out the brute every couple of months?

Vergilius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long term user of IO Reef Crystals.

I do a weekly 10 gallon water change on a 29 gallon biocube to combat excessive nitrates and phosphates. No skimmer.

I mix Reef Crystals cold for 24 hours then heat with no circulation. Use for water change within 4 days.... no precipitation, no soft brown sludge in mixing container.

However, I get the soft brown sludge build up in the recirculation pump and hose. This then impacts the water flow and has to be periodically cleaned.

flyfisher2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
interesting... I've been using Reef Crystals coming up on a year and I mix it overnight prior to use. I've not noticed any build up. I guess it's not sitting long enough? In any case my only issue is the higher ALK but that's fine when you do 10 gallons in a 200 gallon system.

vic5hands

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
best way to keep numbers the same while doing water changes
1. Mix your dry salt unless using the entire container.
2. weight the salt you are going to use. That way you know exactly how much salt your adding to the fresh water . This is where adjustments can be made. Food grade scale can be purchased on line.
3. Makes it easy

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently switched to HW Marinemix after deciding to branch out beyond Red Sea Blue Bucket. The parameters are pretty close to what you're looking for. I've only mixed 2 buckets and haven't seen the normal brown powder I had with Red Sea, but it's too soon to tell if I'll stick with this or not.
I used HW Marinmix and liked it a lot. Thought I'd try Reef Crystal's from the LFS. Alkalinity 12+. Really? Going back to HWM.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are we concerned about the brown crud causing problems in the aquarium or is this just an issue of keeping our garbage can cleaner?
Not trying to be funny but I would like to know if this is detrimental to the life in the system
If not then it doesn’t seem like a big deal to hose out the brute every couple of months?

IMO, the concern over "cleanliness" of salt mixes is not based in any real issue facing the aquarium.

Some folks like clean and neat homes, but a messy home (within reason) is not less safe.

Oberst Hajj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a hard crusty coating (normal) or a soft brown goup (more like reef Crystals gives).?
I would say it is soft. I can take a paper towel and run it down the inside of the reservoir and it will come off. The stuff on the heater is a bit harder and takes some light scrubbing with the paper towel to remove.

Back