Fu Manchu Lionfish - Ich Advice

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, I posted about this fish in another thread an hour or so ago......

That fish has Cryptocaryon, marine ich and needs to be treated for that ASAP.

Jay

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait, I posted about this fish in another thread an hour or so ago......

That fish has Cryptocaryon, marine ich and needs to be treated for that ASAP.

Jay
Hello,

Yes I started the thread as I thought I had two different things going on, but apologies for the confusion.

Doing hyposalinity as we speak over two days

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen lions survive long after treatment with copper products. I have dissected dozens and found liver damage all the way to being liquefied. You must know your source of chloroquine as if expired or not stored properly the effectiveness can be greatly compromised. You also have to use in a hospital tank with no porous material and protected from light, no tank light or even strong indirect natural light, uv will negate it's effectiveness.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never seen lions survive long after treatment with copper products. I have dissected dozens and found liver damage all the way to being liquefied. You must know your source of chloroquine as if expired or not stored properly the effectiveness can be greatly compromised. You also have to use in a hospital tank with no porous material and protected from light, no tank light or even strong indirect natural light, uv will negate it's effectiveness.
Thanks, although I do have access to pharmacy chloroquine but both copper and that are not routes I want to go down. I have three Lions and an Snowflake Eel and I just think most wouldn't pull through.

Now I've had confirmation from the video posted I'm running hyposalinity, so lowering over two days to 1.009. I've given away my conches and bubble tip anemone. Calibrated refractometer and probe on Apex.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, although I do have access to pharmacy chloroquine but both copper and that are not routes I want to go down. I have three Lions and an Snowflake Eel and I just think most wouldn't pull through.

Now I've had confirmation from the video posted I'm running hyposalinity, so lowering over two days to 1.009. I've given away my conches and bubble tip anemone. Calibrated refractometer and probe on Apex.

Eels are to be treated just as lions, and are also very resistant to protazoan diseases.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eels are to be treated just as lions, and are also very resistant to protazoan diseases.

Healthy eels may even be more resilient than lions. I pulled a ribbon eel from a velvet tank that had killed every other fish in the tank. I put the ribbon right into my lion's reef with 4 lions, they lived many more years and the ribbon several years later is still alive. No velvet transfered or was ever detected in the lion's tank.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Healthy eels may even be more resilient than lions. I pulled a ribbon eel from a velvet tank that had killed every other fish in the tank. I put the ribbon right into my lion's reef with 4 lions, they lived many more years and the ribbon several years later is still alive. No velvet transfered or was ever detected in the lion's tank.
Eels are rather incredible, no matter what seems to get thrown in their way they end up surviving. It's not the first time I've heard that they are the last one standing in a tank crash.

OP
OP
sawrip

sawrip

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish to express my heartfelt thanks to you all on this thread for the invaluable diagnosis and help.

The tank is now at hypo 1.009 and my fish look so happy, the spots on the Maroon Clownfish are dropping off and the Lionfish are once again sailing around the tank.

I have now setup a quarantine tank and have pharmacy grade CP ready if any fish seem to be really struggling with hypo. The Jeweled Puffer seems a little reclusive and shy this morning but will monitor closely, it could be ich rather than hypo I guess.

I purchased a new Redsea Refractometer pre-calibrated and that combined with my Apex and old refractometer are all reading exactly the same. I have a large D&D ATU to control evaporation and stabilise salt levels.

I know I am nowhere near out of the woods yet and do anticipate the odd futher loss over the next six weeks but I think my tank would have been wiped out without your guidance - thanks once again.

Last edited:

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 15.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 23.0%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 108 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back