OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a patch of xenia in the tank as well.
Every 2-3 month I take out as much as possible and what remains gets covered in epoxy.

Still, it returns every time again...
No nutrient problems though.

Fortunately mine is on an island that I can remove. Hopefully it all will come out at once.

Been busy at work, so haven't had much time to catch up on the builds I follow.. But HAWT DAYYYUM...

That is an Awesome Picture! Tank is looking great Fuds.. Keep it up man!

Thanks Rich ! !

SuperHaze57

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Fudsey! One of these days I’ll be putting my 75 together as soon as I finish building the stand. Kinda hard to get motivated at the moment as I lost 5 big hammers about 600 bucks in the last two weeks. Still have no clue why they all just melted away. At least my Aussie Black torch and pink tip torch made it through. Congrats on the win!

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great Fudsey! One of these days I’ll be putting my 75 together as soon as I finish building the stand. Kinda hard to get motivated at the moment as I lost 5 big hammers about 600 bucks in the last two weeks. Still have no clue why they all just melted away. At least my Aussie Black torch and pink tip torch made it through. Congrats on the win!

Thanks @SuperHaze57 ! !

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pop it in the sump with some light, nutrient export shouldn't change, I have a custom 500g display simmering in the background, sump will be around 300.
Really in the background, working on funding it.
Softy only with fish, the refugium will be xenia and caulerpa only, a corner of the display will be a sectioned off corner with mouth access full of macros to feed the grazers.
They call weeds "flowers in the wrong place".
Control it and use it! ;)

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

kp1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just had to go to my LFS today...... Got this Monti, Season's greetings?? Just finished dipping it and placing temporarily in a nice rock nook. Can already see the polyps coming out. Not a great pic but wanted to get a quick one for reference.

Monti1.jpg
Nice one man like the colors

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I received my ATI test results. Can anyone give me any insight on the values that are out of wack?

//lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/c285ee3e433640708ce0

It does not look so bad.
I would check 3 things:
- salinity. Double check the refractometer. I also use ATI ICP and found that they measure salinity better than us. My salt dosing was also low.
- silicon: is a little high so best is to compare with your rodi sample. If that is high also, you will need to change some filter of the rodi station
- iodine: can be dosed. Corals like their daily portion.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's strange, I check my refractometer before every use with 35 bought from BRS. Not sure why that is so low...

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not look so bad.
I would check 3 things:
- salinity. Double check the refractometer. I also use ATI ICP and found that they measure salinity better than us. My salt dosing was also low.
- silicon: is a little high so best is to compare with your rodi sample. If that is high also, you will need to change some filter of the rodi station
- iodine: can be dosed. Corals like their daily portion.

Well got RODI report and Silicon is from the RODI

Rodi.jpg

Now, which filter needs to be replaced to fix this? I have a 4 stage BRS 150 GHD with 1 sediment, 1 carbon block, 2 membranes and DI.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well got RODI report and Silicon is from the RODI

Rodi.jpg

Now, which filter needs to be replaced to fix this? I have a 4 stage BRS 150 GHD with 1 sediment, 1 carbon block, 2 membranes and DI.
Probably your DI resin. Has it completely changed colors?

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 No and that's the problem. That and I burn through resin faster than I would think I should be. Now I know why. My tap TDS is 45-55 depending on the day. After membrane it is 2-3 and 0 after DI. But I only get about 80-100 gallons from DI before it is depleted.

Posted in Randy's forum. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/silicon-in-tank-and-rodi.460632/

Last edited:

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Brew12 No and that's the problem. That and I burn through resin faster than I would think I should be. Now I know why. My tap TDS is 45-55 depending on the day. After membrane it is 2-3 and 0 after DI. But I only get about 80-100 gallons from DI before it is depleted.

Posted in Randy's forum. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/silicon-in-tank-and-rodi.460632/

Interesting.
My best guess would be to check the membranes, just before the DI. The pressure on the rodi station is up?
My tap tds is at least triple of yours and my DI lasts at least 200 gallons.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pressure is usually 50-55 and I really do need a booster pump. I figured that's why I was going through di so fast. But if my silicates are that high, could be another reason...

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My pressure is usually 50-55 and I really do need a booster pump. I figured that's why I was going through di so fast. But if my silicates are that high, could be another reason...
Not all ions are created equally. You may benefit from going to separate cation and anion resins instead of the mixed resin. You may find you change one of them out often and the other lasts much longer.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

RichtheReefer21

Scrap Yard Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 52 74.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back