Fudsey's 90 gal build

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn’t sweat the Po4 and chase the numbers.
But if your looking to get the Po4 down I’d use the gfo but use less of it.
Your bound to see some changes when adding rock. The system will adjust. A little carbon dosing wouldn’t hurt.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I wouldn’t sweat the Po4 and chase the numbers.
But if your looking to get the Po4 down I’d use the gfo but use less of it.
Your bound to see some changes when adding rock. The system will adjust. A little carbon dosing wouldn’t hurt.

I need direction for this, do you have any links for me to read up on this? Thanks in advance :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes please :)
It’s a bit of a worm hole , but two easy options are nopox , and a product called MB7. Nopox is a strait carbon source , mb7 is a bacteria with a minor carbon source. So it’s milder.

Keeping of course in mind , carbon dosing will lower n03 first and the po4(ironic it’s called nopox) . The basics are it feeds bacteria to establish a larger bio filter. Might be ok for a younger tank.

Here’s the long answer on vinegar , vodka is covered elsewhere. It’s quite a bit more potent , and seems a waste of good vodka.
http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index...ar-dosing-methodology-for-the-marine-aquarium

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @saltyfilmfolks,

I found this link for vodka dosing as well, any good? LINK

If you think I should I shouldn't sweat the numbers then I'll just hold off and keep an eye on it. I have the GFO and could always but it back online if it gets to that point, but having the knowledge and links can't hurt either way :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @saltyfilmfolks,

I found this link for vodka dosing as well, any good? LINK

If you think I should I shouldn't sweat the numbers then I'll just hold off and keep an eye on it. I have the GFO and could always but it back online if it gets to that point, but having the knowledge and links can't hurt either way :)
It’s a very good link yes ! I’d look at those two for sure. Learning is fun no matter what.

And more bacteria is never bad really.
Only common complaint in carbon dosing is cyano. So be aware. IMO. It’s probaly a bit too much of a dose.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another option is vinegar for carbon dosing which is what I prefer. Be careful and don't over do it on lowering your nitrates and phosphates. There are some really bad things that can happen with zero phosphate/nitrate. I noted much less issue with cyano with vinegar dosing vs. Nopox. I've never done vodka dosing.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an updated pic of 1 of my Trachys. He puffs out to about the size of a 3x5 index card and his colors still astound me.

This is his short side and it looks like he's got 4-5 mouths all together. I think you can see 3 of them in this pic.

Trachyphyllias-1-2.jpg

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an updated pic of 1 of my Trachys. He puffs out to about the size of a 3x5 index card and his colors still astound me.

This is his short side and it looks like he's got 4-5 mouths all together. I think you can see 3 of them in this pic.

Trachyphyllias-1-2.jpg
Wow great Picture @Fudsey ;)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am liking the progress. Look into lanthanum chloride to get your for photos down;). Then Run GFO.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put GFO back online yesterday. Only using 1/4 cup this time mixed with 1/4 cup of ROX. I'll have to see how it does.

Lowered them by more than 1/2 in a day though. I'll have to check again Tuesday and make sure it doesn't go too low again.

Today's parameters:

pH - 8.0
NO3 - 10
PO4 - .126
dkH - 8.4
CA - 450
MG - 1440

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am liking the progress. Looking to lanthanum chloride to get your for photos down;). Then Run GFO.

You know I was really looking into this and was about to pull the trigger but decided to put GFO back online. I can't complain as it dropped them from .343 to .126 in one day. Or at least I believe that much of a drop. I forgot to test PO4 before adding GFO back but last weeks test was .343 so that's what I'm going on.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm so bummed, the little girl didn't make it. Made it through the night but when I got home from work she was laying on the sand :(
Now I think the other female might have been starting to change too... I see a small dorsal fin on her. I think I might have to find her/him a new home if she completes the transformation.
You can't keep 2 males together, can you?
Sorry for the blurry pic, she doesn't stay still much...lol

Anthias5.jpg

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some neon cloves that have almost completely migrated off the frag plug they were on onto some rock they were next to.

Is this a typical behavior?

This pic was a few days ago and they have since almost completely severed the tie to the plug

clove6.jpg

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I'm REALLY BUMMED right now..... Just going to vent....

2 weeks ago my Mimic had a white spot on him but it disappeared and he was looking very good. Yesterday I was watching him looking at him closely and saw nothing that would cause me to think he wasn't doing well. Today when I got home I look at him and he's got some spots on him around his front 1/2 maybe like 20. I think he might have ich... :(:(

I have nothing to put him in that's ready and nothing to treat him with either. Catching him in the tank without a trap would be near impossible as he is VERY fast and knows how to get in the rocks. I'd have to tear the tank apart getting him out. I fed him tonight some Nori with garlic oil and he ate it. I just hope he can fight this off. I can't do anything now and hope he makes it till tomorrow...:(:(

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested tank and parameters are all good except pH Dosed a little to bring it back up as well as dkH

pH - 7.8
NO3 - 20
PO4 - .26
Ca - 470
Mg - 1400
dkH - 8.01

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back