OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This time it wiped it out. Looks really good too. Rock and sand are clean and most corals look great

Before:
bryopsis2.jpg

After:

bryopsis4.jpg

That's a snail in the hole where it used to be.

I do have something in the rock where my Idaho Grape Monti was but I can't get a good pic of it. Going to wait till whites are higher and see if I can get a pic of it.

This is what I have of it
unknown1.jpg

unknown2.jpg

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like some kind of coral or something as it is not moving. Like part of the rock.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what I try, that object doesn't come out in pics any better than above.

Took a few new pics

IMG_20180106_143302.jpg

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most everybody looks good except for one of the (Monti Caps?) completely bleached and is dead. I have tried feeding, changing tank height and nothing helped. The other looks the same as before so I tried moving it to a higher light position.

Also bought the ATI kit from @MarineDepot, So I went to BB&B and bought some nice 1 gal clip lock Rubbermaid containers for dosing. Comes with the ATI doser/Jabao, an ATI test kit and 1000ml of 1,2&3.

Going to be doing some work on the basement to get a QT up and running to get a few new fish. Waiting on a Marine Betta. Once it's in will order a LN Hawk and a large Goby to go along with him. I think if I put 3 fish in with my Mimic, they'd have an better time of it.

Got 3 new frags from my LFS FishMike's

A couple Zoa/Polys

Zoa12.jpg

Zoa13.jpg

And a Large Green Slimer Acro frag/colony. Looked great in the store, didn't like the dip much. But should come out of it OK( I hope).

Looks mad right now.

GreenSlimer1.jpg

o_O

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I hate going to my LFS, he makes too much off of me.....lol ;Woot;Woot

Got 3 more new inhabitants...2 fish and a nice SunnyD Zoa

Long Nose Hawk:

LNH3.jpg

Anthias: Found a hiding spot away from Mimic. Unhappy right now, I hope he settles in OK

Anthia2.jpg

Sunny Ds

Zoa14.jpg

o_Oo_Oo_O

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did my tests and this is really starting to perplex me... I have not really dosed ANYTHING and the only thing going down is dkH and pH. I used buffer to raise it because I don't want ca and mg to go up any more. If anything, I need them to come down.

dkH - 9.7
pH - 8.2
Salinity - 1.025
PO4 - .031
Nitrates - 10
Ca - 450
Mg - 1440

Still have to clean the glass almost every other day. Rock is starting to turn light green and sand is clean. Turned GFO and GAC reactor back on with only a small amount of each to bring PO4 down. Was up to .11 now down to .031 9 days later. Haven't done a water change in 3 weeks, since adding Fluconozole, but will be doing one this week.

o_O

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No matter what I try, that object doesn't come out in pics any better than above.

Took a few new pics

IMG_20180106_143302.jpg
Hey we went to the same photography class;):D

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WOW ! ! ! What a difference an hour makes.... Polyps out and color is right back.... ;Woot

GreenSlimer2.jpg
Now that is a good one!!

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I am not going to have Monti caps... I cannot get them to grow no matter where I put them. I have 3 and all 3 look like crap. One is dead and all brown now, the other is 1/2 brown and 1/2 white. I got a grape and it got knocked over upside down when I was at work. When I got home and put it back, 1/2 of it is completely browned out and has not recuperated in almost 2 weeks.... with zero growth in the month I have had it... I feel bad for it too.

All my parameters are where they should be and I have feed them with ReefRoids but still not doing something right.

Guess I'll stick to things that are doing well like LPS.... :(

mcarroll

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I guess I am not going to have Monti caps... I cannot get them to grow no matter where I put them. I have 3 and all 3 look like crap. One is dead and all brown now, the other is 1/2 brown and 1/2 white. I got a grape and it got knocked over upside down when I was at work. When I got home and put it back, 1/2 of it is completely browned out and has not recuperated in almost 2 weeks.... with zero growth in the month I have had it... I feel bad for it too.

All my parameters are where they should be and I have feed them with ReefRoids but still not doing something right.

Guess I'll stick to things that are doing well like LPS.... :(

What are current PO4 levels like? They are going to appreciate higher ppm's than what I saw in the last test results posted. If they were new to you system then it's also likely that they suffered from light stress when they were moved. Lights stress + phosphate restriction = sad corals.

Skip the feedings as it's doubtful they're getting much of it.

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PO4 has been around .03-.07. They are not very new. Probably been in the tank for about 2-3 months now. I know they need to be higher for true SPS to survive. I just can't see dosing them at this point when my no3 is around 10-15. My tank just isn't mature enough at this time I guess. I was going for a mixed reef but I think I should try to stay more LPS & softies.

I appreciate your comments @mcarroll ;):)

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually just checked it and it's up.....
PO4 - .215 Hanna UL
dkH - 8.68

Last months readings:
.043 - .110 - .061 - .031 - .052

OP
OP
Fudsey

Fudsey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to go back and check. 1st Monti caps were introduced on 10/9 and at 1st looked really good with polyps showing. Idaho Grape was added 12/5.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back