Fuge question

KJones90s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m pretty new to the game but was wondering, I have a sump with a small fuge attached. Probably about 10-12 gallons on it, the sand bed is probably an inch and a half thick.
Is there anything I could put in the sump to turn over the sandbed safely without disturbing the copepods too much? Or is that counterintuitive?
I’m worried whatever I put in the fuge will eat all the copepods.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’ve been taught, that in a refugium it’s about having the slower flow and a somewhat deep sand bed to create an anoxic area(low oxygen) and a place for your “bugs to dwell”. I haven’t heard of anyone putting anything in the refugium sand. I’ve only heard of everyone leaving it alone. Remember, that’s only what I’ve seen and heard so far. I’m sure someone has done that.

OP
OP
KJones90s

KJones90s

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I’ve been taught, that in a refugium it’s about having the slower flow and a somewhat deep sand bed to create an anoxic area(low oxygen) and a place for your “bugs to dwell”. I haven’t heard of anyone putting anything in the refugium sand. I’ve only heard of everyone leaving it alone. Remember, that’s only what I’ve seen and heard so far. I’m sure someone has done that.

Ok, good to know, I thought copepods lives in the live rock.
Didn’t know they burrow in sand too.
Thank you [emoji1431]

NPRW

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what he means is the anoxic bacteria which is a big part of your bio filter.

On another note my missus decided to "clean" my DSB while I was working out of town as a surprise. That night she messaged me in panic mode saying she had uncovered "black stinky sand" in her words, lol. What she really did was uncover the dead spots and release hydrogen sulfide into the system. I told her to turn the air bubbles on to dissipate the toxic gas and my snails turned the sand back over.

My advice is leave the sand or even add more - let it get "rank" with bacteria, its only better for filtration! Dump some macro in there to provide shelter for your pods - seems to be the norm.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m pretty new to the game but was wondering, I have a sump with a small fuge attached. Probably about 10-12 gallons on it, the sand bed is probably an inch and a half thick.
Is there anything I could put in the sump to turn over the sandbed safely without disturbing the copepods too much? Or is that counterintuitive?
I’m worried whatever I put in the fuge will eat all the copepods.
If your sand bed is covered with detritus and you want to get rid of it you first need to vacuum it out. Then so more does not build up again, get yourself 1 or 2 sand dwelling nassarius snails

LesPoissons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods typically hide in the rock and macro algae. You can run a fuge with 0 sand bed. If you have a sand bed in your display, you can take it or leave it in your fuge, but you dont need anything to turn it over. You could add a nassarius snail if you want but you may have to add food occasionally. I'd just leave it be.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back