Fumigating House

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

SOOO ****** news, they are fumigating my house in 2 weeks and looking for options of what to do. Plain and simple I'm removing all live stock out of my tank because I do not want to take a risk of losing any life in my tank.

So my plan is to buy a cheap bio cube off Facebook market place and put my livestock in there for 2 days and my tank im going to tape off the top and sump to make sure no gas gets in there.

Should the water in my tank be okay to put stuff Into once its over say I taped it off?

Seeing if y'all think it is a good plan?

Thanks,

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi All,

SOOO ****** news, they are fumigating my house in 2 weeks and looking for options of what to do. Plain and simple I'm removing all live stock out of my tank because I do not want to take a risk of losing any life in my tank.

So my plan is to buy a cheap bio cube off Facebook market place and put my livestock in there for 2 days and my tank im going to tape off the top and sump to make sure no gas gets in there.

Should the water in my tank be okay to put stuff Into once its over say I taped it off?

Seeing if y'all think it is a good plan?

Thanks,
Cover tank with blanket and then a tarp and place a fan at tank to blow the mists away from tank

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
once you transfer inhabitants, i would run lots of carbon in your main just to help with removing any stuff from the water for when you transfer things back. skimmer may also go bonkers so consider removing the collection cup

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you buy like 27gal plastic tote and put powerheads in it or a HOB filter. It will be cheaper than buying a cube. Unless there's a really cheap bio cube. A tote is like 11.98 at home depot for a good one. I recently remodeled a new house and moved all my livestock into one for 3months. The fish loved it.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20230929_191127.jpg

This works great.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suggest you buy like 27gal plastic tote and put powerheads in it or a HOB filter. It will be cheaper than buying a cube. Unless there's a really cheap bio cube. A tote is like 11.98 at home depot for a good one. I recently remodeled a new house and moved all my livestock into one for 3months. The fish loved it.
I can get a 14 gal cube for like $70. Im worried about how I need light for my corals. The tote does seem like a good idea I was thinking about that option.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once you transfer inhabitants, i would run lots of carbon in your main just to help with removing any stuff from the water for when you transfer things back. skimmer may also go bonkers so consider removing the collection cup
My skimmer is off right now as im building my nutrients and my tank doesn't seem to need it atm. I will pick up a bag of activated carbon to throw in the sump good idea!

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The Fan is a great idea thank you for that! Also the blanket! do you think my pods in my tank will die?
Should not. Also add fresh carbon before they get there to absorb any toxins

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can get a 14 gal cube for like $70. Im worried about how I need light for my corals. The tote does seem like a good idea I was thinking about that option.
I have a bar light for this situation that I keep around for quarantine or if I need to break down a tank. I had a tank leak once which just kinda had me keep all this stuff in case that happens again now. If the light on the cube works for $70, then why not? You can use it as a quarantine afterwards or a frag tank. I'm kinda jealous. Haha.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cover tank with blanket and then a tarp and place a fan at tank to blow the mists away from tank

Not sure about the fan. Any arrangement I can envision would make it worse. Blanket and tent in plastic is spot on though. If you really don’t want to mess with it, you could tent it and run it positive pressure with a section of 4” flex and a cheap squirrel cage fan outside.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure about the fan. Any arrangement I can envision would make it worse. Blanket and tent in plastic is spot on though. If you really don’t want to mess with it, you could tent it and run it positive pressure with a section of 4” flex and a cheap squirrel cage fan outside.
I was thinking about this and the line I would have to run outside would be way to far. Its a group of townhomes so all of them are getting fumigated.

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Fan is a great idea thank you for that! Also the blanket! do you think my pods in my tank will die?
if you can figure out a way to get it so the fan is pulling fresh air from somewhere else and pump it under the tanks covering you’d essentially create a positive pressure where no other gases or liquids could enter because everything being pushed out with clean fresh air. That’s what we did when we had to have work done.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ran fans at my LFS when it got painted and proved very effective. There was practically no paint odor and same applied to fumigation

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can figure out a way to get it so the fan is pulling fresh air from somewhere else and pump it under the tanks covering you’d essentially create a positive pressure where no other gases or liquids could enter because everything being pushed out with clean fresh air. That’s what we did when we had to have work done.
Pulling fresh air is going to be hard since its townhomes. I may make a positive pressure before sealing it off tho.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ran fans at my LFS when it got painted and proved very effective. There was practically no paint odor and same applied to fumigation

I was assuming they were tenting or doing something more than just spraying since he’s going to the trouble of removing everything. If it’s just simple spray, tape plastic down and seal to walls/floors. Leave it covered for an hour or two after they spray and don’t sweat it.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was assuming they were tenting or doing something more than just spraying since he’s going to the trouble of removing everything. If it’s just simple spray, tape plastic down and seal to walls/floors. Leave it covered for an hour or two after they spray and don’t sweat it.
they are tenting my entire place that's the issue

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are tenting my entire place that's the issue

Then fans won’t help. Any chance you have a dryer vent near by? It’s an easy way to bring outside air. Other way is foam board closed in a window with duct run through it. If you tape plastic down to walls and use totes as others said you should be fine. Even with no lights the coral should be fine so don’t stress too much. Have a few jerrycans of fresh saltwater ready to go and view it as a PITA deep clean.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hi ! Check out thread by me, “Household pets out, household pest gone!” Back in March 2018, moved all living things outside. From South Florida also, where tenting for termites is most common.​

Best advice is take it all outside. If you have an area outside the back of townhome, run an extension cord and place outside. A 10x10 pop up shelter is nice in case it rains. Temperatures here are cooler this time of year, so possibly a heater may be necessary.
There is a method I know, to keep it inside, if there is no other option. Let me know and I’ll explain.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So im going back to my place and removed all my corals and fish from the tank. Sadly every single one of my SPS corals died when I put them in the holding tank so not happy about that.

I still have some water, sand and some live rock in the tank from where the fumigation happened and the tank wasn't covered. Should I replace all that water or is it okay to put my 2 fish who are still alive back in there.

Thanks,

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back