Fumigating House

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

So im going back to my place and removed all my corals and fish from the tank. Sadly every single one of my SPS corals died when I put them in the holding tank so not happy about that.

I still have some water, sand and some live rock in the tank from where the fumigation happened and the tank wasn't covered. Should I replace all that water or is it okay to put my 2 fish who are still alive back in there.

Thanks,

Need to know what compound they sprayed to answer that. There are a few common ones that will not cause issues and a few that will. With lack of knowing that or until you find out, test nitrate to see if there was a die off of any kind.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They used Vikane
That’s sufuryl fluoride. Anything it was going to kill is already dead. It has a low boil point and poor solubility in water so you should be ok. Just to be sure heat, blackout, or something else did not trigger a die off I would still test for an ammonia/nitrate spike.

OP
OP
HandsyLobster

HandsyLobster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s sufuryl fluoride. Anything it was going to kill is already dead. It has a low boil point and poor solubility in water so you should be ok. Just to be sure heat, blackout, or something else did not trigger a die off I would still test for an ammonia/nitrate spike.
Thank You,

Im planning on doing a 80% water change to dilute whatever nitrates or Ammonia will be present, There was no power to the tank or any equipment while gone and im going to run some carbon to take out any impurities.

Anything else you would recommend?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank You,

Im planning on doing a 80% water change to dilute whatever nitrates or Ammonia will be present, There was no power to the tank or any equipment while gone and im going to run some carbon to take out any impurities.

Anything else you would recommend?

If everything was off now would be a good time to pull everything out for a deep clean.

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank is fairly new as there isn't much cleaning to be done. Main concern is if there is still any poison on the glass or equipment and if the remaining water is safe?

Thanks,

Any risk from the water would be biological at this point. If you’re going a significant water change even that is mitigated.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back