Fungus or algae ID please

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've had this stuff growing in my refugium for awhile and thought it looked cool but it's growing kinda fast and I'm not sure If it's beneficial or not?
IMG_0741.JPG
IMG_0742.JPG
IMG_0743.JPG
IMG_0744.JPG
IMG_0746.JPG
IMG_0747.JPG
IMG_0748.JPG
IMG_0749.JPG
IMG_0750.JPG

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The white pic is caulerpa with cyano on it. The others are that Pom Pom macro... I forget what it’s called, it’s cool though. @najer might know.
The stuff on the caulerpa is the same as the others. The caulerpa grows through it. The reddish I'm wondering about must be Pom Pom. I've had cyano before and this is not the same. I was really happy last night when I used the microscope and didn't find Dinos!!! Thanks for the ID I'll just let the stuff grow.

Bret Brinkmann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a search for pom pom and your pictures didn't look like it. I have that stuff too. Looks like red hair algae. It will get big if you let it. Removing it just results in it growing back. My snails eat it without issues.

mefisto

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the Netherlands we call this Rode Pluisalg (Red Fluffy Algae).
It is considered as a nuisance suffocating anything.

You should starve it out by ways if sucking it off while performing water changes, prevent any spreading particle as they will grow out again, and control nutrients.

For a suitable CUC I have no valid suggestions.

OP
OP
CoralClasher

CoralClasher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did a search for pom pom and your pictures didn't look like it. I have that stuff too. Looks like red hair algae. It will get big if you let it. Removing it just results in it growing back. My snails eat it without issues.
Nothing in the refugium is eating it. I was thinking red hair algae too. It's really soft and seems like it should be food for someone.

EverydayAquarist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pink Cotton Candy algae. It is a pest and should be removed otherwise it will spread and potentially become epiphytes on more desirable algaes

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 37 59.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 16 25.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.6%
Back