Fuzzy stuff on the underside of rocks

Brandon McHenry

View Badges
Reaction score
Hi all!

I’ve got something growing/accumulating on the underside of my rocks in one of my tanks and I can’t seem to identify it. It’s a grayish brown color and it brushes off the rocks very easily but also returns very quickly. It does not seem to grow/accumulate on the tops of the rocks, only in the shade. It does not seem to be irritating anything but it is very ugly. Any idea on what this may be and how to get rid of it? Thanks in advance!

631FEFB6-A29D-42BC-A0B4-A6FA260E517F.jpeg

Subsea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Can’t give you a name, but looks like you need janitors to clean it up. Try Cerith Snails & Emerald Crabs.

OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

View Badges
Reaction score
Can’t give you a name, but looks like you need janitors to clean it up. Try Cerith Snails & Emerald Crabs.
I do have a few of them, not much has seemed to touch it. Do you think it is algal or detrital in nature?
My current CUC includes (IM Nuvo 40):
3 Mexican turbo snails
4 Banded trochus snails
5 Astrea snails
10 Caribbean cerith snails
10 Stocky cerith snails
25 Blue leg hermit crabs
10 Scarlet reef hermit crabs
1 Maroon hermit crab
1 Electric blue hermit crab
2 Emerald crabs
2 Skunk cleaner shrimp
1 Lawnmower blenny

Subsea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Considering it doesn’t grow on surfaces exposed to light, I doubt it’s photosynthetic algae. More likely, you should focus on detrivores for janitors: micro stars, bristle worms and pods. I suggest several different variety of copepods.

OP
Brandon McHenry

Brandon McHenry

View Badges
Reaction score
Considering it doesn’t grow on surfaces exposed to light, I doubt it’s photosynthetic algae. More likely, you should focus on detrivores for janitors: micro stars, bristle worms and pods. I suggest several different variety of copepods.
Agreed I don’t think it’s algae either. I just recently added a few variety of copepods from Algagen (tisbe, parvocalanus, and apocyclops) maybe they are still establishing themselves. I can take a look into diversifying my detritovores as well.

Any special reefing plans for this week?

• Yes

Votes: 61 42.7%
  • No

Votes: 66 46.2%
  • Maybe

Votes: 16 11.2%

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors
Waterbox Aquariums: The Finest Aquariums
JASON FOX SIGNATURE CORALS