G5 Blue SPS Light Settings

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and how about your lamp settings? I think, no matter what I program, the blue is not blue! the light is either too bright or has a rough green cast. at the moment .. I have already reported here .. 100/50 at 75% with diffuser

At times I had already tried the Radiant Color setting. Even with that, the blue lamps look bad, bright, green, dirty. no comparison to the proven G4 Pro lamps!

Hydrored

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and how about your lamp settings? I think, no matter what I program, the blue is not blue! the light is either too bright or has a rough green cast. at the moment .. I have already reported here .. 100/50 at 75% with diffuser

At times I had already tried the Radiant Color setting. Even with that, the blue lamps look bad, bright, green, dirty. no comparison to the proven G4 Pro lamps!

Try the SPS

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just installed the WWC SPS profile and it looks ok, but a bit too red-heavy for me. It looks like it is really purely for the G5 Pro lamp and not so suitable for the Blue.

the G5 blue lamp is apparently quite limited in its adjustment options. It only works with everything at 100% and Grell. If you turn off the white or just a few percent less, the light looks dirty and just plain ...

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not understand why Ecotech does not even take a stand on this and explains to us why the light of the Blue is so white and one has the impression that the blue LEDs in the AB + mode are almost completely ignored and completely drowned out.

what does BLUE mean for this lamp?

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is how I have my G5 blue, I quite like the way it looks.

After nearly a year of trying my SPS frags have finally started encrusting.

Lights were ramping down in photo

20200928_120708.jpg 20200928_121029.jpg

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not understand why Ecotech does not even take a stand on this and explains to us why the light of the Blue is so white and one has the impression that the blue LEDs in the AB + mode are almost completely ignored and completely drowned out.

what does BLUE mean for this lamp?
Ecotech teamed up with Coral Lab to develop a specific spectrum that has been proven to grow and color sps corals. "Blue" specifically refers to the Coral Lab SPS AB+ spectrum.

The G5 Blue model exploits the AB+ spectrum and was designed to make it easy for the user to simply turn all the individual color sliders to 100% to achieve that specific spectrum. It had nothing to do with what's pleasing to the eye and everything to do with achieving that specific spectrum using a spectrometer.

The biggest advantage of G5 Blue is that when used in the AB+ spectrum the par is 30% greater than its "Pro" counter part in that same spectrum.

However, the great thing about the Radions is Ecotech has given you the keys to the kingdom and if your goal is to get a spectrum that is more pleasing to the eye you can experiment with the sliders to get your desired color.

If your intention wasn't to run the Coral Lab AB+ spectrum then the Pro might have been a better choice.

adams901

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech teamed up with Coral Lab to develop a specific spectrum that has been proven to grow and color sps corals. "Blue" specifically refers to the Coral Lab SPS AB+ spectrum.

The G5 Blue model exploits the AB+ spectrum and was designed to make it easy for the user to simply turn all the individual color sliders to 100% to achieve that specific spectrum. It had nothing to do with what's pleasing to the eye and everything to do with achieving that specific spectrum using a spectrometer.

The biggest advantage of G5 Blue is that when used in the AB+ spectrum the par is 30% greater than its "Pro" counter part in that same spectrum.

However, the great thing about the Radions is Ecotech has given you the keys to the kingdom and if your goal is to get a spectrum that is more pleasing to the eye you can experiment with the sliders to get your desired color.

If your intention wasn't to run the Coral Lab AB+ spectrum then the Pro might have been a better choice.

The issue is, ab+ was designed for the G4? You put a G4 on ab+ and a G5 blue on ab+ next to each other they look completely different. So they can't be running the same spectrum?

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is, ab+ was designed for the G4? You put a G4 on ab+ and a G5 blue on ab+ next to each other they look completely different. So they can't be running the same spectrum?
Ecotech used different LEDs in the G5 Blue compared to the Pro model, to the eye it will seem to look different but when tested under a spectrometer the graph is the same.

AB+ stretches further back than G4s. When AB+ hit the market, people complained that it was too "Blue" compared to the traditional whiter light we were all used to then.

After coral growers started achieving great growth without compromising color, AB+ became so popular that Ecotech decided to finally make a light specifically for that group. Hence the choice to label this model "Blue".

"Blue" isnt intended to give you that windex, coral florescing look within AB+ spectrum. It strikes a balance between growth and coloration.

The best time to manipulate the spectrum for the windex, coral florescent blend is in the beginning and the end of the day. But the bulk of the lighting period should be in the spectrum designed for coral growth and coloration (AB+).

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for that! I

am apparently spoiled by the G4 Pro lamps. It is very difficult to get along with these "Blue" lamps if the setting options seem very limited.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But their templates are for the pro, the blue uses different colors
The metadata in the mobius software knows what model (blue or pro) you're using on your aquarium and will adjust your template settings accordingly.

What ever template you choose mobius will adjust the diode ratio to closely resemble that spectrum. Because pro and blue use different LEDs the colors will be different to the naked eye or when compared side by side.

nly04

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for that! I

am apparently spoiled by the G4 Pro lamps. It is very difficult to get along with these "Blue" lamps if the setting options seem very limited.
I am exactly on the same boat with you. I miss my g4 pro. My g5 blue look ugly does not matter how I set. I am thinking to either go back to g4 pro or add orphrek or3 bar blue plus to supplement.

Last edited:

Superlightman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question the spectrum we can see on the ecotech website is it the spectrum with all leds turned on to 100 % on the pro version or the AB+ mode? Someone have the spectrum all channel at 100% vs the spectrum of the AB+ mode?

OP
OP
Rando

Rando

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my G5 Blue and bought 4 G5 Pros. There is a difference like day and night!
Ab + the Blue is not the same as AB + the Pro!
The corals look a lot better with the Pro. I can now experiment with different lighting programs again.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back