OP
OP
Gabriel Garcia

Gabriel Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So today disaster struck. In the form of 210g leaking everywhere. Thank god I was sitting in front of the tank day dreaming about fish when it happened. Managed to pump out a good amount of water. And mop up the rest. It's on hard wood floors and no water hit the carpet. Now. Here is where you guys may be able to help me out. I couldn't tell where the leak came from because of stand. But I don't believe it's the plumbing because the over flows are the only part of the tank that is still holding water. I don't see any cracks in the glass anywhere. So only thing I can think is a seam went bad. Idk? Ideas. Is it fixable?

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like a bad seam like you suspect. Empty it completely, move it to a nice flat area you can work with it and start filling it back up until you find the leak(s). Couldn't tell you if it is fixable or how until I know what is leaking.

Mr Tony Metoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow followed this whole thread to get to this! I feel your pain.. Good luck and hopefully it can be remedied very simple..

ShoreReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's horrible. Hopefully not much damage was done to the house and thankfully there were no fish or coral in it yet to have to worry about. Definitely make sure your tank is level and contact the manufacturer about the warranty

OP
OP
Gabriel Garcia

Gabriel Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks. Unfortunately the tank was bought used. So no warranty. Plan is to move the tank outside. Put it on saw horses and fill it up to find out where it's leaking. That will happen after the holiday when I can find the man power.

Reefaddict305

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sucks. Unfortunately the tank was bought used. So no warranty. Plan is to move the tank outside. Put it on saw horses and fill it up to find out where it's leaking. That will happen after the holiday when I can find the man power.

Where are you located?

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good. sorry to hear about the leak. I've seen a couple tanks blow out on the bottom due to a cheap stand. If that's the case, at least there weren't fish and corals in the system. Dont give up.

Last edited:

Jwalker814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's depressing.

I just picked up a used 210 earlier this month as well. Going to start cycling it this weekend.
Seeing your disaster has me worried.

Good luck with finding leak

OP
OP
Gabriel Garcia

Gabriel Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow that's depressing.

I just picked up a used 210 earlier this month as well. Going to start cycling it this weekend.
Seeing your disaster has me worried.

Good luck with finding leak
Did you get it custom made? Maybe in the market for a new one if I can't get this one fixed.

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the leak! It should be fixable you will, but you will have to remove the silicone from the seams and reseal them. I would go ahead and reseal the whole thing, instead of just doing the one that is leaking. Good luck!

Jwalker814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get it custom made? Maybe in the market for a new one if I can't get this one fixed.

It was custom made. I picked it up used though. Was really only looking for a 6' tank. But traded a 75g with equipment for this tank plus stand skimmer and lights couldn't pass up the deal. Also picked up about 175lbs of sand for $80

OP
OP
Gabriel Garcia

Gabriel Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the leak! It should be fixable you will, but you will have to remove the silicone from the seams and reseal them. I would go ahead and reseal the whole thing, instead of just doing the one that is leaking. Good luck!
That's what I was thinking too. I've been thinking hard and only thing I can think of is that it the tank was not completely level. I remember when filling the tank that there was about a 5 second delay from when water started flowing in to one overflow and then in to the other. The tank is about 6 years old so maybe that stress got it. When I first did the water test I made sure it was level and it held water for 3 weeks. After draining I moved it about a foot and half and filled it with saltwater. I didn't think too check the level again because I moved it such a little way and it was on hard wood but 4 days later this happened. I think redoing the seals is something I'd want to get professionally done.

OP
OP
Gabriel Garcia

Gabriel Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was custom made. I picked it up used though. Was really only looking for a 6' tank. But traded a 75g with equipment for this tank plus stand skimmer and lights couldn't pass up the deal. Also picked up about 175lbs of sand for $80
Sounds like a great deal!

OP
OP
Gabriel Garcia

Gabriel Garcia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So decided to give it a go and while stripping the silicone I found the the bottom glass plate is separated from the front panel in the center. :(

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 33.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 31.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back