Gas bubble disease in foxface?

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface has bubbles in his eye. Just the one eye. Gas bubble disease? I’m not sure how to treat it or test oxygen saturation in my tank - which the internet suggests it’s the cause?

He's had issues with that eye a while ago, a few months ago. it was cloudy, but cleared up in a week on its own and seemed alright since. I noticed this issue today, and swelling yesterday.

None of my other fish has problems. He’s eating and swimming fine though he’s showing his age. all params is normal- help?

He’s approaching 7 years old. Getting to the end of his life I think. If he’s too old I may not want to stress him out by putting him in a 10 gal hospital tank.

D68C5D8A-AD76-44DD-A6C6-D5480447D957.jpeg
EAC55626-CED3-4763-832B-2AE129514AE0.jpeg

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen this before.

#fishmedic

Its new to me too. Internet doesn't tell me much- anything is freshwater fish mostly and not like this.

I should add, there's no airstones or anything that's creating bubbles in my tank that would "Get caught" in the eye either that I can see

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the gas bubble disease to me. Any recent temperature changes? Or a micro bubble source?

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience (with fw fish) it heals on its own but you need to address the cause.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface has bubbles in his eye. Just the one eye. Gas bubble disease? I’m not sure how to treat it or test oxygen saturation in my tank - which the internet suggests it’s the cause?

He's had issues with that eye a while ago, a few months ago. it was cloudy, but cleared up in a week on its own and seemed alright since. I noticed this issue today, and swelling yesterday.

None of my other fish has problems. He’s eating and swimming fine though he’s showing his age. all params is normal- help?

He’s approaching 7 years old. Getting to the end of his life I think. If he’s too old I may not want to stress him out by putting him in a 10 gal hospital tank.

D68C5D8A-AD76-44DD-A6C6-D5480447D957.jpeg
EAC55626-CED3-4763-832B-2AE129514AE0.jpeg

Gas bubble disease (from supersaturation) would affect both eyes equally, and you would also see tiny slivers of air bubbles in the fins.

What you are seeing is likely the result of some trauma. Nobody knows why, but after a trauma to the head, many fish develop air bubbles inside the eye. There is no real treatment for this other than time. Sometimes the air bubbles get reabsorbed, other times they get worse and the fish either loses its eye, or it died.

There is also a slight chance that these bubbles are produced by bacteria growing as a result of an infection in the eye, but that is rare, and I dodn't see the cloudiness that is usually associated with that.

Here is an article I wrote some time ago that discusses fish eye health:

Jay

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back