GBTA killing clowns?

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ran into an issue that I have not seen before. Fairly new GBTA, two Ocellairs clowns. First clown starts to host and within a day I notice he is sloughing his slime coat and dies. Several days later second fish starts to host and within a few hours he is suffering the same fate. Has anyone else observed this and/or have any ideas? It's a bit to late for either fish, I'm just curious at this point as to the GBTA's future.

Thanks,

Anemone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty unusual. How old were the clownfish? Are the clowns wild caught or captive bred? Do you have any pics of the clownfish?

OP
OP
P

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clowns were young and I believe wild caught, it is definitely a gbta. Photos might be an issue as the gbta is in the back of the tank and the tank is against a wall, not much room for a good camera angle. I'll see what I can do.

OP
OP
P

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fish.jpg
gbta.jpg
Ok, here are some photos. You really can't see anything on the fish now, but when he was still alive his slime was sloughing off in strings. It looked like he had swam through spider webs.

clowns101

Clown and Anemone Crazy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1)I dont belive those are Ocellaris.I think they are Percula.
2)I have never had this happen.Only time I have ever delt with somone who had a similer situation was when this person forced the host.

Is that what you did?If so that swould be te problem.If not,depending on the time in captivity,could have been Brook.But I highly doubt they are wild in the first place.I have never been able to purchase a wild caught mis-bar Percula clownfish.Most of the designer fish just simply dont make it.However,Im not saying its not possible.They have caught wild Picassos before.

OP
OP
P

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1)I dont belive those are Ocellaris.I think they are Percula.
2)I have never had this happen.Only time I have ever delt with somone who had a similer situation was when this person forced the host.

Is that what you did?If so that swould be te problem.If not,depending on the time in captivity,could have been Brook.But I highly doubt they are wild in the first place.I have never been able to purchase a wild caught mis-bar Percula clownfish.Most of the designer fish just simply dont make it.However,Im not saying its not possible.They have caught wild Picassos before.

Forced the host, never even thought that was possible. The first clown started attempting to host 3-4 days after the anemones was introduced and died the next day. The second fish started to host last night (4 days after the first died) and early this morning, he left the anemone and started sloughing late morning and died by 3:00 pm today. I guess this anemone just does not want to be bothered, so I either need to replace it or forgo clowns?

OP
OP
P

philshel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sounds like you got sick clowns to me.

Anything is possible. They did not show the other signs of Brook i.e. spots or color fade but that does not mean that it was not the problem. I guess that the hosting being in close proximity to them showing signs of trouble could have been a coincidence.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for your loss and welcome to R2R.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 64 43.8%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 69 47.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.9%
Back