Gee's 75 Gallon

Mattgee87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where to begin.... Well after trying nano reefing for awhile I discovered the size limitation and coral limitation was just too much for me. I convinced the boss ( wife ) that an upgrade was needed. I have purchased the tank, sump,skimmer and everything I need besides the stand. I plan on building the stand over the holiday weekend and hopefully having water in the tank by the end of July. I am taking things VERY slow this time around as I have learned that If its fast in this hobby, its probably going to bit you in the rear at some point. I will be using a IM 20 as a QT tank and QTing everything for a two month minimum. After getting hair algae and bubble algae from a LFS in my nano, I learned my lesson. The current debate between the wife and I is the color of the stand. We can't decided between black or white. Below I have listed out my equipment

75 Gallon w/ custom ghost overflow
Icecap 30 sump
Reef Octopus SS150 Skimmer
Jebao DC Return
Jebao Doser
Apex Controller
Apex Dose ( for AWC )
Lighting will be either a 2x250MH for 4 T5's or an 8 bulb 36" TEK fixture.

I will be buying the Coralvue auto filter sock as soon as its released. ( seen here and confirmed with Coralvue it will fit my sump )

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So where to begin.... Well after trying nano reefing for awhile I discovered the size limitation and coral limitation was just too much for me. I convinced the boss ( wife ) that an upgrade was needed. I have purchased the tank, sump,skimmer and everything I need besides the stand. I plan on building the stand over the holiday weekend and hopefully having water in the tank by the end of July. I am taking things VERY slow this time around as I have learned that If its fast in this hobby, its probably going to bit you in the rear at some point. I will be using a IM 20 as a QT tank and QTing everything for a two month minimum. After getting hair algae and bubble algae from a LFS in my nano, I learned my lesson. The current debate between the wife and I is the color of the stand. We can't decided between black or white. Below I have listed out my equipment

75 Gallon w/ custom ghost overflow
Icecap 30 sump
Reef Octopus SS150 Skimmer
Jebao DC Return
Jebao Doser
Apex Controller
Apex Dose ( for AWC )
Lighting will be either a 2x250MH for 4 T5's or an 8 bulb 36" TEK fixture.

I will be buying the Coralvue auto filter sock as soon as its released. ( seen here and confirmed with Coralvue it will fit my sump )

I just checked out the auto sock. Great concept. Am I the only one who thinks it looks like a toilet paper dispenser? I guess that is essentially what it really is.

OP
OP
Mattgee87

Mattgee87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the holiday to start working on the stand. I will be wrapping it this weekend with 1/2 birch plywood. I also found some doors at a consignment store for 5 dollars a door.

a330a76b4cec57fb90cc2fe4095ef3d1.jpg

Last edited:

Raege

I’m a leaf on the wind watch me soar
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking stand. Looking forward to seeing it progress.

Magee324

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking good! I'm about a year into my build lol. Following along for inspiration. I'd love to see more pictures of the plumbing. That's where I've been stuck!

OP
OP
Mattgee87

Mattgee87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Coming along nicely. I purchased a house and am currently on a work trip to Bahrain. Sorry for not keeping you guys posted. I’ve order apex flow kit for flow in the tank. The stand is 99% complete. One of the perks of the new house is was able to cut a hole through the wall and have a 65 gallon container and RODI unit in the room behind the tank. I plan on using my DOS as a AWC from the 65 gallon container. Another fun thing that has happen over the month is I won the BRS Red Sea MAX nano tank! I’ll be setting the up in my home office ASAP.

b280f2d86b8b1bbae8788a748a48372b.jpg
e35b1ad2fddac907f96eeaed8b43e683.jpg

Last edited:

hockeyhead019

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Progress is good! I'm in the planning stages of a 75g for the new house so following for inspiration lol

Can't offer any help on the pH probe though outside of recommending to calibrate it with the known fluid packets. Best of luck

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 139 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back