Gem tang, purple and yellow

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading my tank from 120 gallon to 210 gallon in the next few weeks. During the transfer I was thinking of adding a gem tang to my current purple and yellow tangs (both are maybe 5-6 inches). Aside from the two mentioned tangs, I’ve also have powder blue.

Will 3 zebrasomas and the powder blue be ok together in 210 gallon?

@4FordFamily

syrinx

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You never know unfortunately. I would certainly make sure to fully QT the gem before adding and make sure it is 100% on eating etc. Any of the other tangs could be a problem, or could be fine. While it is often times best to add a new fish to community when you change tanks-there are times that changing tanks will reignite aggression as territories have to be re established. Sorry if this seems like a non answer- but its nature in a box.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just be sure to add the tangs last. I'd also do it with lights out. Whomever is most aggressive goes in last. I'd put the gem in first and then the old ones. Congrats on the gem. I just can't let myself drop that kind of money on a fish. Sooo tempting though.

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love mine! Tangs who QT together, stay together... Sometimes lol. I had a mirror up for 4 weeks while in QT and introduced them all at the same time. I suggest you start a QT/observation tank (assuming the gem went through qt) and place a divider in the tank. Let them get used to each other for a week or so. Then swap one to the other side, not both. Wait a few days, swap again. Then eventually remove the divider. That way it's only one on one when establishing dominance. Then when all done add to the tank at once. Even with all of this, it's still a crap shoot.

Attachments

• PXL_20201206_200700714.jpg
    PXL_20201206_200700714.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 154

tank of gems

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have all 3 tangs the Gem purple and yellow along with a desjardini sailfin a sohal and a orange shoulder and tbey all get along . It all depends on the tangs aggression towards each other

OP
OP
secret_reefer337

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes for sure the new tang will be QT’d, I will not gamble the health of my current tangs.

on the side note, the purple is the boss of the tank. Anyway, the purple was in my current tank the longest followed by the powder blue and yellow. They have been living in my 120 for a long time now.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 42 31.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back