View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EEBDEEDF-7A41-4782-8AC5-B88BE3B458C6.jpeg
6470D419-B272-4056-99CA-21ADC43427AC.jpeg
CF46D922-7062-4C42-AF2D-39C69270FD6C.jpeg
4493AB2E-DB0F-41F9-9B1D-E1B3664AF45A.jpeg
I got this Gem tang 3 days it looked fine win it shipped in, but now it looks like the pics below. It was shipped in plenty of water (two gallons and the fish is 2 to 3 inches in size) and the bag temp was 75 degrees upon arrival. I dripped it for roughly 1.5 hours (it dripped about 4 gallons during that time). Then I ran it through the 2 part fish stop, 45 min in each bath with an air stone for circulation. After, it went into its quarantine tank.

I haven’t gotten it to eat anything. I’ve tried several kinds of pellets including algae pellets, frozen mysis, brine, Lrs herbivore frenzy, a couple kind of flakes, and nori. It just won’t eat.

Then today, I noticed it’s fins look like the pic below. I have an ammonia badge in the tank showing no ammonia. Specific gravity is 1.025 (salt mix is Red Sea salt blue bucket) temp 77.6. It has a jebao nano power head and a hang on the back filter. The power is off except for when I put food in. Then I turn off the overflow and turn on the power head so the food with blow around, but not get sucked out into the filter. In the filter, it has ammonia reducing media, sponge filter , a tiny bit a carbon that is in the sponge filter, and a phosphate removing media. I have a rock from my display in the quarantine as well. (When meds are started, I’ll take out the media and the rock.)

Any suggestions?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My suggestion, and very unpopular one at that I'm sure..... would be to move it to a new display. Maybe the 50g frag (not sure of the dimensions) etc. some tank that is fairly established. It may not be ammonia burning it up, but it doesn't look like a disease either, so I'm guessing the tank/meds/etc. are the culprit.

I would put him right in my main display, but I'm sure that's a risk most wouldn't want to take.

jsvand5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have originated due to the long drip acclimation. Drip acclimation is terrible for fish that were shipped. I wish it never would have became popular. Once you open the shipping bag the ammonia quickly becomes toxic. Some of the problem may be ammonia burn. The best practice is to float the bag to match temps and adjust the salinity in the QT to match the water it arrived in.

I’d try treating it for a bacterial infection and ammonia burn. NFG powder may help.

Try using a rubber band to attach nori to the rock. Sometimes they are more comfortable picking it from a rock than a algae clip.

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may have originated due to the long drip acclimation. Drip acclimation is terrible for fish that were shipped. I wish it never would have became popular. Once you open the shipping bag the ammonia quickly becomes toxic. Some of the problem may be ammonia burn. The best practice is to float the bag to match temps and adjust the salinity in the QT to match the water it arrived in.

I’d try treating it for a bacterial infection and ammonia burn. NFG powder may help.

Try using a rubber band to attach nori to the rock. Sometimes they are more comfortable picking it from a rock than a algae clip.

2 gallons is a lot of water..... doubt there would be much ammonia in it, plus he said symptoms showed up 2-3 days after the acclimation was done.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Looks most like fluke damage originally that got infected to me :(

OP
OP
Hogan

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: got home from work yesterday and the fish is not good. It’s fins are completely gone. I ran a separate check of the ammonia to make sure the badge wasn’t bad and got 0, so it’s not ammonia. It’s lost so much weight as this is day 5 of no eating. It’s starting to lose its equilibrium which is not a good sign.

OP
OP
Hogan

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started furan-2 cause that’s what I had. Is that the same as acriflavine?

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn, this sucks. One down and one fading. I think you really need to get the antibiotic going for it to have a chance.

NYAquatic

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
I’m not sure I buy the infection idea
Forgetting the fact that the gems went through prazi
Flukes always possible
Fish arrived pristine Tuesday
By Thursday looked as pictured
Hard to believe that much damage that quickly
If you look at qt tank algae clip looks all corroded
Something is going on in that tank

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I buy the infection idea
Forgetting the fact that the gems went through prazi
Flukes always possible
Fish arrived pristine Tuesday
By Thursday looked as pictured
Hard to believe that much damage that quickly
If you look at qt tank algae clip looks all corroded
Something is going on in that tank

Obviously something is wrong. I don’t know how QT water could be literally corrosive to fins to this degree and not immediately burn the gills out and kill the fish. I’ve never seen anything quite like it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back