I’m not sure I buy the infection idea
Forgetting the fact that the gems went through prazi
Flukes always possible
Fish arrived pristine Tuesday
By Thursday looked as pictured
Hard to believe that much damage that quickly
If you look at qt tank algae clip looks all corroded
Something is going on in that tank
The algae clip is plastic. It looks weird in the pic because the half a sheet of nori is on it and the nori has been in the water for a day so it’s all flakey.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to start 'Trifecta" treatment right now to have any chance of survival. This looks bacterial and it will only get worse.

Trifecta:
1) MetroPlex
2) Furan II
3) Metro

All from Seachem.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to start 'Trifecta" treatment right now to have any chance of survival. This looks bacterial and it will only get worse.

Trifecta:
1) MetroPlex
2) Furan II
3) Metro

All from Seachem.

I tend to agree.

OP
OP
Hogan

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only done Furan 2 before. Can I dose the others at the same time? Are these something someone local would carry?

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were me I would do the following:

1) New 10 gallon tank...not worried about cycle. Match water conditions with old water. I want him in new water.
2) Hang on tank is not good enough. You need a sponge filter in the corner as well. Also, a small wave pump. No CARBON

3) Add Metroplex, Furan II and Metroplex to tank. Hope/Pray. This looks hard for the very best of us to treat.

4) Add meds the next day based on the labels ( I forget). I like to change 50% of my water on day 3 and repeat dosages. However, Meds are added day 2. You need to research trifecta treatment on R2R. My 1st priority is finding those meds!

Good Luck...we are all here for you.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only done Furan 2 before. Can I dose the others at the same time? Are these something someone local would carry?
Yes. I've had to do it a few times and I've done it without issue! I've kept fish for decades! Those meds are all available off the shelf at LFS. Also, look for a product called Ruby Reef Rally. I think that's the name??? It has acriflavine in it and it's an antiseptic. Do a bath with salt water (same tank parameters) for 90 mins. I use 1 teaspoon per gallon and I aerate VERY heavily in the bath. You don't need a lot of water, about a gallon is perfect. Air stone in the water an go for 90 mins. I would not skip this and I believe it critical to any possible success. The Rally reef product is available over the counter as well.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect bacterial but flukes can cause this damage. Have you tried a freshwater dip??? I've had great success and never lost a fish to a freshwater dip. This is what I do...

1) Small container, aerate RODI water heavily for about 15 mins. Longer is better but 15 mins is my point in an emergency. Match Temperature to tank. I used to worry about PH but not so much anymore. If concerned, add a small squirt of tank water to the freshwater dip. Just a few drops to help buffer the PH.

2) Place the patient in the FW Dip for no more than 5 mins! If the patient starts to have trouble remove ASAP. The 1st min is hard for you AND the fish. Then they seem to relax. Make sure you keep the water heavily aerated!!!!!!! Keep an air stone in the water at all times!!!!!!

3) When 5 mins remove back into quarantine tank. I like to move them into the acriflavine bath for 90 mins. That bath is also heavily aerated.

4) After Bath they go into trifecta treatment. If the fish is very sick keep TWO airstones in the tank during treatment. I also add an air stone to the HOB filter as well.

Have I brought fish back from death's doorstep with this? Yes. I brought back a purple tank that is now a gorgeous bull!

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure I buy the infection idea
Forgetting the fact that the gems went through prazi
Flukes always possible
Fish arrived pristine Tuesday
By Thursday looked as pictured
Hard to believe that much damage that quickly
If you look at qt tank algae clip looks all corroded
Something is going on in that tank

If anything it looks like it got beatup by another fish. I had a bristletooth that looked to almost exactly like this, had all his fins nearly chewed off overnight by a powder blue. I removed him and put into new tank and he has since recovered.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to do a fresh water dip please check the bottom of the container when you are done. Flukes are transparent and you need to place the bottom against something dark to spot the flukes!

You will need to use Prazi treatment to remove flukes. However, you also need to worry about bacteria so you need to continue trifecta. What I would do?

1) Keep fish in Trifecta for 10 days.

2) Every other day, or every 3rd or 4th day I would perform a FW dip to remove flukes. At the end of 10 day trifecta I would treat with prazi.

3) Some flukes are prazi resistant. If so, you need to use HYPO salinity treatment. I don't remember specifics but salt levels have to be dropped and stay constant. Let's figure this out later...it's in a sticky thread by Humblefish.

tgrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it's another fish...that's easy. You still need to worry about infection. Again, I would do trifecta. Do a search for it here on R2R.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has it been in with any other fish? I didn’t think it was.

OP
OP
Hogan

Hogan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you decide to do a fresh water dip please check the bottom of the container when you are done. Flukes are transparent and you need to place the bottom against something dark to spot the flukes!

You will need to use Prazi treatment to remove flukes. However, you also need to worry about bacteria so you need to continue trifecta. What I would do?

1) Keep fish in Trifecta for 10 days.

2) Every other day, or every 3rd or 4th day I would perform a FW dip to remove flukes. At the end of 10 day trifecta I would treat with prazi.

3) Some flukes are prazi resistant. If so, you need to use HYPO salinity treatment. I don't remember specifics but salt levels have to be dropped and stay constant. Let's figure this out later...it's in a sticky thread by Humblefish.
It’s never been with another fish. It went straight into quarantine, but I agree, that’s what it looks looks like. Now it’s fins are completely gone. You bones are sticking out of the top of the dorsal fin so whatever it is, it’s taken the flesh off all the way down. What should I try about the eating? It’s not going to last much longer not eating.

Brian1f1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s never been with another fish. It went straight into quarantine, but I agree, that’s what it looks looks like. Now it’s fins are completely gone. You bones are sticking out of the top of the dorsal fin so whatever it is, it’s taken the flesh off all the way down. What should I try about the eating? It’s not going to last much longer not eating.

That sounds nasty.

lakai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Try masstick fish food. There is noting else that I've fed that caused the type of feeding response (more like frenzy) that this food did. I've only tried it a few times but it had even the most shy fish eating from my hand

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Trifecta:
1) MetroPlex
2) Furan II
3) Metro

All from Seachem.
I agree looks like bacteria to me too. I’ve see this happen fast with bacteria.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 163 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back