Gender ID Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish

Azhaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone.

I’m still quite new to this forum so apologies if this is a very common question.

This is my first time owning a Fuzzy Dwarf Lionfish and so far it’s been a smooth journey. Got him to eat since the first day I got him with live ghost shrimp, and slowly trying to wean him onto eating foods like silversides/krill.

I just have one question, is this particular fuzzy dwarf I own a male or a female? I looked online that it has something to do with their head size and the amount of bands on their fins, but I can’t quite figure it out on my own so hopefully someone else with more expertise could try to shed some light on this? He’s not fully grown yet, he’s maybe about 3 inches long but I was just curious if it’s even possible to tell this early on.

I understand this isn’t the best video but he’s quite reclusive and not usually out in the open unless I add some ghost shrimp to the tank. I rarely see him swimming actively unless he’s hunting (which he is in the video!) I am hoping this is also normal behavior.

Attachments

• IMG_3035.mov
    59.5 MB
OP
OP
Azhaag

Azhaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just in case the video I attached does not work I also have uploaded it to YouTube with the following link, that should make it clearer too maybe?

Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May be too early to tell. I believe mine is female, her head is slanted and she doesnt have enough solid bands. Her fins are also not longer than her back spines. Yours might be male. Does he have more than 7 solid bands?

Attachments

• IMG_5202.jpeg
    IMG_5202.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5171.jpeg
    IMG_5171.jpeg
    230.8 KB · Views: 18
Upvote 0

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Im not entirely sure yours is a fuzzy. Looks more like a dwarf zebra to me. How does he look compared to mine? Coloring is different and doesnt appear to have the fuzzy look that dwarf fuzzys have

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Azhaag

Azhaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also Im not entirely sure yours is a fuzzy. Looks more like a dwarf zebra to me. How does he look compared to mine? Coloring is different and doesnt appear to have the fuzzy look that dwarf fuzzys have
The video I took was with mainly white light so that might skew the way the colors look, but comparing them side by side they have the same looking appendages throughout their body including in their face. I see what you mean though with the coloration but with the white light he tends to look a bit different.

As far as bands, if I’m counting them, I counted 7 with the final one being right at the tip looking all tattered cause of the way their fins are. His fins are quite long though comparative to his body, they look a bit longer than what yours does. Granted he/she is a younger fuzzy dwarf so maybe it just is too soon to tell like you mentioned beforehand.

I will try to get some better videos/photos of the lionfish in the open because the one I posted is honestly not the best to really inspect him.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Azhaag

Azhaag

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is from google but this more in line with what my lionfish looks like upclose with all the fuzzy looking appendages.

Attachments

• IMG_3038.jpeg
    IMG_3038.jpeg
    49.7 KB · Views: 11
Upvote 0

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 73 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 46.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 14 8.6%

Back