Genicanthus (watanabei) sex change question

artieg1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a female watanabei for two years, and she has grown to 4-5 inches in size. I just got a second female, about 3-4 inches in size. Acclimated the second female, all is calm in the tank now. How long do people think it will take for the larger to change to male?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a female watanabei for two years, and she has grown to 4-5 inches in size. I just got a second female, about 3-4 inches in size. Acclimated the second female, all is calm in the tank now. How long do people think it will take for the larger to change to male?
It usually takes time, the angels first need to establish who will be dominant (not 100% going to be the largest but chances are it will be), then the largest female will start to change sex which can take several months and then finally the male and female will need to pair which is unknown on how long it could take.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to feed them well and with good stable water, the larger will change sex fairly quickly. I have my female change sex with no problem.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 34 30.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 28 25.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 22.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 24 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back