Get my tank back

Beautiful23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello! We have invested in a 250 gallon reef tank with obviously salt water fish and coral. After having our tank completely bomb out and losing everything due to a horrible "not all equipment was there" set up we chose to go with a private "fish guy". I initially told the guy that I wanted to be involved with everything and wanted to learn as much as I could/can. I had my Reef Link app on my phone and he disconnected that and got us the APEX system. I have ZERO control of my tank. I turned my lights on the other day to appreciate the tank and within 5 seconds they were turned off and I was text to ask how I turned them on and then was told not to use that button! I feel as if I need to go with a new fish company (yet again) and I have no clue how I am going to get my tank back because he has the system under his information. I did have another company come out to look at my tank seeing as I lost about 22 out of 25 fish in my tank due to ich (so I was told) and they said I would just have to change my wifi password but I don't know how that will give them access to the APEX system. I am just trying to get ahead of the game because I feel like I am going to have some problems retrieving my APEX access when I fire my fish guy and go with the new company. I apologize if I come off ignorant on the topic of the APEX system but I really have no clue what I am doing. I downloaded the app but its asking to "Link Apex" but I don't know if I go to link it if its going to alert my fish guy. I asked the fish guy several times to give me access and to help me download the app but he would just kinda find a way to change the subject and then I would forget. I appreciate any and all help!

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the fish guy has remote access to control your Apex, it must already be on your home network for him to be able to reach it. You can test to see if you can access it locally from your computer or phone by browsing to:

There's a chance he changed that name, in which case this link won't work. If that happens, you may be able to identify your Apex IP address by logging into your home network router to see the list of connected devices. If you can do that, then substitute the IP address to connect. For example, mine is:

If you can connect via one of these methods, then the next step is to log in with the local admin account. The default is:

Username: admin
Password: 1234

If that does not work, then it means the fish guy also changed the login credentials. If that's the case, you will need to ask (or demand) that he tells you your local admin password. If you own the Apex, he has no right to prevent you from knowing your own password.

If you can successfully log in locally, then you have the ability to save a backup copy of your config as well as to see all the programming. This will allow you to fire the fish guy and take control of your Apex.

OP
OP
B

Beautiful23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While the fish guy has remote access to control your Apex, it must already be on your home network for him to be able to reach it. You can test to see if you can access it locally from your computer or phone by browsing to:

There's a chance he changed that name, in which case this link won't work. If that happens, you may be able to identify your Apex IP address by logging into your home network router to see the list of connected devices. If you can do that, then substitute the IP address to connect. For example, mine is:

If you can connect via one of these methods, then the next step is to log in with the local admin account. The default is:

If that does not work, then it means the fish guy also changed the login credentials. If that's the case, you will need to ask (or demand) that he tells you your local admin password. If you own the Apex, he has no right to prevent you from knowing your own password.

If you can successfully log in locally, then you have the ability to save a backup copy of your config as well as to see all the programming. This will allow you to fire the fish guy and take control of your Apex.

Thank you so much!!! I will try your recommendations and hopefully I can get access.

OP
OP
B

Beautiful23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you so much!!! I will try your recommendations and hopefully I can get access.

Can you tell me if the below makes any sense because this was the response I got from my fish guy.....

"The way the Apex system works is there are no codes, everything is built off of a profile. Your Apex profile is on (company's name) Cloud Server. Normally, a person would have to build an entire profile and then get virtual tokens from Neptune Systems to access the Apex. (Fish guy) is waiting to speak with Neptune Systems, which is located in California, and we are going to have them create a username and profile to generate tokens for you. As soon as we hear from Neptune Systems, I will send you all the info you requested."

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell me if the below makes any sense because this was the response I got from my fish guy.....

"The way the Apex system works is there are no codes, everything is built off of a profile. Your Apex profile is on (company's name) Cloud Server. Normally, a person would have to build an entire profile and then get virtual tokens from Neptune Systems to access the Apex. (Fish guy) is waiting to speak with Neptune Systems, which is located in California, and we are going to have them create a username and profile to generate tokens for you. As soon as we hear from Neptune Systems, I will send you all the info you requested."

as stated above follow what everyone has told you.
to put it bluntly he is partly true. BUT YOU HAVE TOTAL CONTROL OF the system because it’s on your home network no where else. If you disconnect your network ( for example) from the internet you could still run the APEX as suggested abov.
the Fusion is located in CA but it is not needed in all reality.
follow what the guys have said here change your passwords and get rid of the guy

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be completely honest, it sounds like he/she doesnt want you to have control because they believe you are going to mess around with it too much and cause issues. For instance, your lights are on a timer, you cant decide in the middle of the night that you want to admire the tank and just turn them on full blast. The fish guy is trying to help you by not giving you access to turn things on and off willy nilly.

If you want someone to take care of the tank, let them. If you want to take care of the tank figure everything out by doing research before investing in stuff you dont know anything about.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
WOW - Glad I do my own tank management. Do learn and take over YOUR tank.

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone correct me if I am wrong here..... I vaguely remember giving a trusted friend who was house sitting for me access to my system.

All the fish guy needs todo is create an account for you on your apex and send a link to your email address. This in turn will send you a email link which will make you create a user account on the Neptune cloud and then link it the your Apex via the token.

OP
OP
B

Beautiful23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be completely honest, it sounds like he/she doesnt want you to have control because they believe you are going to mess around with it too much and cause issues. For instance, your lights are on a timer, you cant decide in the middle of the night that you want to admire the tank and just turn them on full blast. The fish guy is trying to help you by not giving you access to turn things on and off willy nilly.

If you want someone to take care of the tank, let them. If you want to take care of the tank figure everything out by doing research before investing in stuff you dont know anything about.
To be honest, you don't have to be so rude. I bought my tank in the hopes of learning how to care for it through a professional because I didn't know what I was doing. The person I hired has completely taken my tank over like it is his and is now jerking me around. He knew I wanted to learn the process and he took complete advantage of me and was not truthful. So excuse me for trying to get help from this website and forum which obviously is filled with passionate people who know what they are doing. And besides, if I wanted to turn my lights on in the middle of the night to admire my tank I should be able too. GEAD

OP
OP
B

Beautiful23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone correct me if I am wrong here..... I vaguely remember giving a trusted friend who was house sitting for me access to my system.

All the fish guy needs todo is create an account for you on your apex and send a link to your email address. This in turn will send you a email link which will make you create a user account on the Neptune cloud and then link it the your Apex via the token.
This is what I was trying to figure out. I am just going to change my wifi password to my house in the hopes that that will be enough to get it on my laptop and then I can share it to the new fish company or have it on my home computer. Sorry, I am just not tech savvy. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honest, you don't have to be so rude. I bought my tank in the hopes of learning how to care for it through a professional because I didn't know what I was doing. The person I hired has completely taken my tank over like it is his and is now jerking me around. He knew I wanted to learn the process and he took complete advantage of me and was not truthful. So excuse me for trying to get help from this website and forum which obviously is filled with passionate people who know what they are doing. And besides, if I wanted to turn my lights on in the middle of the night to admire my tank I should be able too. GEAD

Ok good luck!

thejuice24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what I was trying to figure out. I am just going to change my wifi password to my house in the hopes that that will be enough to get it on my laptop and then I can share it to the new fish company or have it on my home computer. Sorry, I am just not tech savvy. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

No problem. Being your not tech savvy either it might be a good idea to get the other company in ASAP. Let them manage dealing with the APEX. I d hate see something go wrong and you or the current fish company not be able to access the system. Some time it sucks, but doing nothing is the smartest option.

Daveobrien

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One more option if these don't work. The Apex DISPLAY module gives you direct hard wired access to your unit. Plug it into one of the apex ports, and you can look up your network IP address, your username, and it's password. This option gets you INTO the Apex box for sure.

SuncrestReef

That Apex guy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One more option if these don't work. The Apex DISPLAY module gives you direct hard wired access to your unit. Plug it into one of the apex ports, and you can look up your network IP address, your username, and it's password. This option gets you INTO the Apex box for sure.

And if you know any fellow reefers who have a Display module, you could simply borrow it from them to look up your info. The module doesn't require any programming and can just be plugged in, then returned when you're done.

Back