Getting a fish delivered today, drip acclamation?

Thaxxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely bad advice. If the water has copper the fish will die. Never do this.
It's okay with copper power, and seachem says also copper safe.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It's okay with copper power, and seachem says also copper safe.
That assumes you know the type of copper used..

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which site did your fish come from we have a couple new tanks ready for qt fish, interested in sourcing them

had asked prior page, not meaning to be intrusive just requesting a simple link for a friend

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Back on track....

So fish has been QT'd and I'm not going to qt myself. I paid extra for this and the fish is eating etc. I plan to add to an acclamation box in the dt. I need to bring salinity up to the dt.

Based on what everyone has said I'll sg match the incoming water (and temp) and move the fish to that bucket. I'll then drip that bucket up to dt sg. Then I'll move the fish to the acclamation box in the dt. This sounds like the safest method.

Why I don't want to qt - 1) I paid for that to occur. Went over the procedure with the seller ahead of time, agreed upon method and meds. 2) it's a Hawaiian Achilles. My qt is small and flow isn't adequate for his needs. The dt will be the better environment for him and since he's been QT'd is eating, and thus is just a difficult fish in general I feel that this is the best path to success for this particular fish. Normally I'd agree, go into a qt.. Just not this fish.

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where are you buying QTd fish from that they are shipping in hyposalinity water? I’ve bought from TSM, Fishotel and Quarantined Marine. They all have the fish in 1.025-1.026 by the time they go out and I went right into my display with them after temp match.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Where are you buying QTd fish from that they are shipping in hyposalinity water? I’ve bought from TSM, Fishotel and Quarantined Marine. They all have the fish in 1.025-1.026 by the time they go out and I went right into my display with them after temp match.
My last fish was from tsm. This one is from a whole seller in Texas (Facebook friend through a group)

mickeysreef <*))))<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would just say that you could ask seller about salinity and medications in water. match it or take other steps once you're informed! :)

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now I'm completely stressed, probably more than the fish. I wasn't planning to qt this fish (which is why I paid and found a pre-QT'd fish). I'm sort of screwed, I don't have anything bigger than a 20gL to qt this fish and crappy flow.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My options-

1) match sg/temp in a qt tank, place in qt with matching sg slowly bringing it up over time. Do my normal qt procedure.
Cons: I only have 20gL tanks and poor flow. For an Achilles I don't think this is the best qt process. I would have wanted a larger tank and better flow.
Pros: proper QT, no ammonia exposure.

2) match sg/temp in bucket, add prime, drip from dt to bucket for 1-2hrs until SG match then add to acclamation box in dt.
Cons: sort of gambling the QT process even though the fish was QT'd already.
Pros: better flow, tank size, and possible success with this fish.

I'm torn. I'm thinking maybe I do option 1 which buys me time to observe. I'm really concerned that the tank isn't large enough for him to be happy though. Thoughts?

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How big is this Achilles? I think you’re better off setting the salinity of the 20L to whatever the salinity of the shipping water is, and then temp acclimate and drop into that, and then bring the salinity of that tank up over a few days then into your display.

If you trust the QT process of the place you bought it from, I don’t see why you’d need that long of an observation period besides what it takes to move the fish to your display salinity.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See, I'm confused. Half will say drip. Half will say sg match.

Fish is shipped in hypo (1.012) and dt is at 35ppt. So I can match the bucket to incoming water then I would drip up to dt, right?

Float the bag, heat acclimatise, then I would remove most of the water from the bag, drip or add a syringe of your tank water until your salinity matched, not over an hour, maybe 15-20 minutes.

jradishness

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my head, that’s a lot of salinity to rise in an hour. When I do hypo, I take a week to rise back up to normal SG. If the op is already concerned about the sensitivity of the fish, I’d definitely do as others have recommended: put him in observation a week. Slowly raise SG and get to know your new guy. And then put him in the day in 5-7 days assuming no new issues. This may also give you enough time to find anything that might jump out once the fish is no longer exposed to therapeutic hypo or whatever other meds come with him.

My $0.02. Good luck!!

piranhaman00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You absolutely cannot drip from 1.012 to 1.025 or whatever you are at. When I QT I bump up 0.001 every 3 days. It should take at least weeks to bring it up that high otherwise you risk damage to organs.

Match the salinity in QT and drop the fish in.

Also who QTs at that salinity? Diseases wont present themselves so it will look all good.

MikeTheNewbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish will be here very soon...
Call TSM and ask what is their recommendation regarding drip acclimation.
I drip acclimated the anthias and clowns that came from them with no issues.
I understand that drip or no drip is tied to the shipping method so you need to ask them.
In some cases they add solutions to help with ammonia.

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is this Achilles? I think you’re better off setting the salinity of the 20L to whatever the salinity of the shipping water is, and then temp acclimate and drop into that, and then bring the salinity of that tank up over a few days then into your display.

If you trust the QT process of the place you bought it from, I don’t see why you’d need that long of an observation period besides what it takes to move the fish to your display salinity.
This is good advice. I understand that you’re worried about an Achilles in a small tank. If it’s eating and seems ok, take your time (at least 3 days). If it’s not doing well, speed up the process. Replacing dirty water with clean water will help to maintain water quality.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 47 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back