Getting back in after 9 year hiatus

welcome.jpg
 
I just moved back to the Carolinas after spending almost 8 years in Hawaii. I sold all my stuff and moved there 8 years to study marine science and aquaculture. I've started slowly collecting gear to start a build once I get a permanent job and figure out a permanent living situation. I've got about 50 pounds of dry rock, sa10 gallon tank with hob (intended to be a QT tank, some black sand, and I just picked up a used Gen 3 radion. Fortunately I have a super supportive wife who loves tanks too, and encourages me to get what I really want, instead of just getting something that will work for now. If I buy/build from scratch I will probably go with a 40 breeder build (unless I come across a really good deal on a better used tank, we shall see). Planning for an SPS/LPS tank and a really spectacular pair of clowns, and some gobies.

Welcome! Glad you joined and it sounds like a team tank for you too - that is wonderful! We share my tank, too.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). I wish I had started while I was still in the planning phases before I got my tank, and it sounds like you may be in that same phase for a while. It is an exciting time!! So many possibilities.

This might help you find people local to you:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/local-reef-club-discussion.516/
This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.84/
 
Welcome! Glad you joined and it sounds like a team tank for you too - that is wonderful! We share my tank, too.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID). I wish I had started while I was still in the planning phases before I got my tank, and it sounds like you may be in that same phase for a while. It is an exciting time!! So many possibilities.

This might help you find people local to you:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/local-reef-club-discussion.516/
This is a good reference book type online article I still review:
https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/the-supreme-guide-to-setting-up-a-saltwater-reef-aquarium.84/
Oh, im not anywhere near a build thread yet. I cant have a tank where im living at the moment, so im just collecting gear slowly. Ive got a gen 3 radion and at least 150 pounds of dry rock so far. Still waiting on my job to start so we can start looking for a more permanant place to live.
 
Welcome back to the hobby. A lot has changed in 9 years! Have you heard of an Apex? :grinning-squinting-face:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new