Getting back into saltwater, clown question

ajorcutt

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 11, 2023
Messages
7
Reaction score
27
Location
Iowa
What state or country do you live in
Iowa
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a number of years since my last tank. Recent set up is FOWLR. Up and running for about 5 months, now. I have a black ocellaris clown who was one of the first fish. A couple questions: At It's age(4 mos.), would the clown have changed to female? If so, what are the chances if I add a juvenile male they would form a pair bond?
 
Welcome to Reef2Reef!!!

Clownfish.gif
 
It's been a number of years since my last tank. Recent set up is FOWLR. Up and running for about 5 months, now. I have a black ocellaris clown who was one of the first fish. A couple questions: At It's age(4 mos.), would the clown have changed to female? If so, what are the chances if I add a juvenile male they would form a pair bond?
They are capable of changing sexes and very well may have and with adding a juvenile clown, If it hasnt changed sexes, it will and either bond or display clown hierarchy being the more dominant than the male. They become greedy and try to eat most of the food that gets into the tank (which is one reason the males don't grow as large). They often aggressively protect their home whether that be an anemone, a nesting site, a clay pot or the entire fish tank.
 
Greetings and welcome to the reef. If it hasn't yet, it will when you add a smaller one.
 
It's been a number of years since my last tank. Recent set up is FOWLR. Up and running for about 5 months, now. I have a black ocellaris clown who was one of the first fish. A couple questions: At It's age(4 mos.), would the clown have changed to female? If so, what are the chances if I add a juvenile male they would form a pair bond?
Welcome! I have a 3 year old clownfish that "broke out of jail" and joined my two young clowns. I was worried at first but they've been doing great for 5 months now. With that said, I've heard plenty of horror stories as well. The female may choose to kill the male or she may accept him. We never know until it happens.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 21.7%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new