Getting Back Into the Hobby-Pittsburgh PA

Engineer28

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning all. I thought I would introduce myself as I am new to this forum. I recently decided to get back into the reefing hobby after I gave up my last tank due to college about 10 years ago. My first tank was a 29 gallon sump-less soft coral tank with a couple clown fish that I had between 2006-2008. Now that I have two young children, and my own house, my wife and I have decided to get back into the hobby so we can share the fun with our kids. After some research we decided to purchased a Red Sea Reefer 250.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!! :) :) :)

You will over your RSR.

I love mine! They are so easy to set up. If you have any questions along the way don't hesitate to ask.

You can also start a build thread in the member tanks section and upload pictures so we can follow along. We all love pics here!

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

Here's a pic from one of my favorite articles on reefkeeping, applicable to new hobbyists and old as well:

eb_reef.jpg

The nitrogen cycle is only the startup of a SW tank cycle. The next 6-12 months is a maturing phase, and it's typically in this time frame where algae outbreaks occur and things can sort of roller-coaster, and if you stock the tank up too quickly, you might see corals randomly dying & fish getting sick, etc...hobbyists can very easily fall into the trap of chasing problems = making more problems => giving up and selling everything off. We don't want that to happen to anyone!

Long-term stability and balance are the keys, and you just can't shortcut the process significantly. That's always the #1 thing to keep in mind!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.5%
Back