Getting back into the hobby with questions

berry79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Long story short. I’ve had saltwater tanks 10-15 years back. Been talking about getting another so, the wife surprises me with the biocube 32. Got everything setup today. So far everything is right from the box. I went with caribsea life rock, natures ocean live sand and natural sea water from the LFS. I’m in south Florida and there’s easy access to ocean water down this way. Tank is pretty stirred up at the moment and just running it the factory carbon filter at the moment. A lot has changed since my last tank. Tomorrow I should be getting the Microbacter Start XLM in but, still need to order a few more items, that’s where the questions start, lol. So, after I powered up the tank for the first time, I see the water flow from the pump is not that much. I plan on adding a few easy corals and fish. Am I going to need a power head or something to increase the flow? I plan on adding some gsp, Kenya tree and maybe a torch coral or 2. The next question I have is, should I add the bacteria when it arrives tomorrow or wait until I’m ready to add fish? Anothe thing I’m ready conflicting on is the idea of the UV sterilizer. If I were to get one, it would probably be the coralife version that goes online with the pump. Are these a yes or no with corals in the tank? Going to place another order in the next day or so and want to make sure I’ll have everything I’ll need. Heater will be on the next one as well. Thanks for any help. Below is some pics of my aquascape before I added the water and sand. I was going to put the egg crate just under the rocks but, decided to do the whole bottom just in case I want to add more rock later.

B0723828-6A72-467A-9799-DEA69FD5D1F2.jpeg

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Add a power head, especially given you want corals

yes add the microbackter now. It will cycle your tank prior to adding fish.

Get the sterilizer but don’t turn it on yet. In theory, you could get the portable one that you deploy just when needed.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The bacteria goes in right away, faster the better.
We want to get the cycle going.
No lights, no fish, but best to get 1 power head for each side.
I just use Jebao, inexpensive and mine still running after 4 years. Move the water in your system at all times and just let that cook.
You can test for ammonia and nitrite if you want, when I use bottle bacteria, I just wait 1 week, and in go the first fish or two
Looks nice, well done.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run with two heaters and a controller. One is a backup set as a slightly lower temperature. Make sure you purchase a ground probe and have your equipment plugged into a GFCI outlet. They sell external cord unit ones at Lowes and Home Depot. I have been shocked by faulty equipment. You might want to consider an auto top off unit also. I bought a Tunze and it has worked very well.

OP
OP
berry79

berry79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perfect, thanks for the replies. Definitely have to look into the ground probe. Haven’t heard of that yet. I’m in a newer home and we have all GFCI breakers so that will cover the outlet. Also, what filter media should be added in the beginning? I see all types of options. Don’t want to use one that might remove something beneficial during the cycling stage.

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I don't know of anything that would be detrimental to your cycling that is to be normally used. Where you have to be really careful is administering medicines. Strongly suggest you have a 10 gallon quarantine tank for your fish. I have a sump and put filter floss from my LFS in my mesh socks and the chamber before the return pump. The floss is $.99 a foot. I run carbon at times.

Take a look at Bulk Reef Supplies on Youtube. They have videos on about everything you can think of in the hobby.
Ron Reefman's articles here are also excellent.

OP
OP
berry79

berry79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered the Nero 3 wave maker. Should be here tomorrow. By looking my aquascape above. I was thinking about putting on the left side below the return hoping the flow would wrap around the front of the tank and towards the intake vents. Does this seem like the right option? Also, will the magnet with the Nero stick through the black plastic?

NowGlazeIT

Happy to help, Ask away.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’m just tuning in, I like the idea you had to place the powerhead under the return, that will help mix in the filtered water and push water from one side to the other, to be filtered.

OP
OP
berry79

berry79

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey I’m just tuning in, I like the idea you had to place the powerhead under the return, that will help mix in the filtered water and push water from one side to the other, to be filtered.
That was my thought initially too. I ended up putting the power head on the glass next to the intake side. Seems the flow in the tank is better with it on this side. The return pump seems to take care of the other side. Everything in the tank seems to be doing great. Mushroom on the bottom might get a little more flow than I would like at times but, seems to be doing good with how it is.

Attachments

• 32F50241-E624-4F47-8CB1-849F2B0C590E.jpeg
    32F50241-E624-4F47-8CB1-849F2B0C590E.jpeg
    304.9 KB · Views: 10

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back