When can I add corals to my new tank?

kensterp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! So I’ll start by saying that I bought my first pair of clownfish and a few hermit crabs for my newly cycled 16 gallon bio cube on October 4th. Everything seems to be going good, not seeing any spikes in ammonia or nitrite exceeding .25 ppm which I’ve heard isn’t harmful in saltwater aquaria. My question today is when can I start to add corals to my tank? I have yet to have any kind of algae bloom in the tank but I’m using Carib sea life rock which is seeded with corraline which I’ve seen is what you want to look for in your tank before adding corals.

Attachments

• IMG_4249.MOV
    41.8 MB

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can add corals whenever you want, it has nothing to do with rocks being purple or not.

The issue is to do your research, understand what the corals needs to survive (lights, flow, and nutrients), if you feel your tank is adequate, then go for it. Understand that some corals can adept to a new tank like yours, and some will die quickly in a new tank like yours. Its a lousy feeling to buy a coral and it just dies in a couple of days, so research is really important.

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's really no time frame when to add coral, if your parameters are good then you would be good to add some hardier coral (zoas or mushrooms for example). Do a little bit of research to look up what you want for your tank and what would be best for you. Have fun adding new coral to your tank!

jpmazzone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have a small tank so I would think about what you want the overall aquascape to look like. You run out of real estate very fast in a small tank.

Drake2910

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all! So I’ll start by saying that I bought my first pair of clownfish and a few hermit crabs for my newly cycled 16 gallon bio cube on October 4th. Everything seems to be going good, not seeing any spikes in ammonia or nitrite exceeding .25 ppm which I’ve heard isn’t harmful in saltwater aquaria. My question today is when can I start to add corals to my tank? I have yet to have any kind of algae bloom in the tank but I’m using Carib sea life rock which is seeded with corraline which I’ve seen is what you want to look for in your tank before adding corals.
What power head are you using?

Macbalacano

Recovering Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anytime! And actually contrary to popular belief, you can put a lot of corals in shortly after setting a tank up. Mine were in (albeit using live rock) within a couple of days of setting up the tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back