Old reefer getting back into the hobby.

coralnutz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there everyone. I'm getting started in the hobby again after about a 15 year break. I recently picked up a used 75 gallon tank to get started in. Got a great deal, has everything I really need except rock, sand, new rodi system, salt and I'm ready to get some rock cycling. Last time I did this you ordered some fiji live rock or something, but seems like that's not a thing anymore. Can't believe how big this site's taken off since I last visited it. Hopefully I can relearn a thing or two and get this tank up, really looking forward to having some corals in my home again, been way to long.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
daffy-duck.gif

Welcome back!

Mikeltee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Welcome back. Don't fall into any new hype trends. You are best to dust off the 250w metal halides and add a blue reef bright led strip to make the coral pop. All you need is a skimmer. Don't use any reactors. Carbon is the exception but its not really needed. The only change I recommend from 14 years ago is following a strick quarantine cycle. Get 2x 20g tanks. 14 days of copper power in one and 14 days of Prazipro in the other. Keep them 8' apart. You can also buy quarantined fish from one of the few online retailers that are suggested here. They aren't that much more expensive. I do lose about 1 in 10 fish to qt so keep that in mind. I just had a Midas Blenny jump out of the qt yesterday. I never had a jumper before. The sad part is I had a lid. He jumped on to the HOB filter tray and then committed suicide. Poor guy.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Back!
I agree with much of what @Mikeltee said. I started trying many of the new fangled methods then reversed direction and went back to keeping things simple and it is much less frustrating for me.
And live rock is available from a couple of companies out of Florida but it isn't cheap. If possible I would try and get some just to jump start your system. If you have not started a system with all dry rock it has many challenges that can be overcome using live rock. Many reefers these days freak out over hitchhikers. Heck many are scared of bristle worms. Give me hitchhikers over the hurdles dry rock creates any day.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back! Stick to what you know and keep it simple is the best advice I can give you! I took about 12 years off myself and came back last year.. it’s most def a whole new game today with all these additives haha! The majority aren’t needed and just cash grabs..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back. Basically the skimmers went short needlewheel which is a compromise
and the light everyone pushes are now led, if you have old halides use them, you have what the new kids don’t even know what they are missing lol

if your water pressure is low I suggest a booster pump, they came out with the RO Buddy device that’s pretty solid and hard to build a diy version much cheaper

pick one methodologyppppp

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back