Getting clowns to host anemone

HH-Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I am pretty new to the reefing hobby and I have a Fluval evo 13.5 with a few corals. I just added a bubble tip anemone and I want to get my two clown fish to start hosting. Is this anemone big enough? And is there any tips? It’s currently wedged itself in a crevice. Here is a few pics:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
good luck

'

Oh ya howdy and welcome

elorablue

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's completely up to the fish whether they want to be hosted BY the anemone or not. It seems to me to be very hit or miss. they may end up being hosted by a coral at some point.. Their choice, clowns are weird. LOL

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are captive bred they may never join up with a anemone. It also depends on the species even if wild caught.

DO NOT try to force anything. If they want to they will. When THEY want to.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't force the anemone to host the clowns... just give it time and see if it occurs.

GaryE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put my clowns in a pond basket floating at the surface with a bubble tip, the clowns discovered the nem within 5 minutes and have not left it since.

1622937735943.png

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Hi, I am pretty new to the reefing hobby and I have a Fluval evo 13.5 with a few corals. I just added a bubble tip anemone and I want to get my two clown fish to start hosting. Is this anemone big enough? And is there any tips? It’s currently wedged itself in a crevice. Here is a few pics:
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
First, welcome to Reef2Reef! Go to the Meet and Greet forum and create a post introduction yourself. Second, as others have said the anemone is the host but the clowns may or may not want to be hosted by it. Mine loved mushrooms in my old tank. My new one loves my monti cap. A lot of people have power heads that host their clowns. Getting them to live where you want them can be frustrating. Let them do what they're going to do. Enjoy their antics.
Waving City Bus GIF by Connect Transit

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried just about everything to get my multiple anemone to host my clowns. They may just never do it. BTA are not natural hosts for many species of clown fish also.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stick a tablet with videos of other clowns being hosted up against the glass
Did the for 2 weeks straight and didn't help. Video on loop.

mistergray

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It didn’t happen for me as expected but it happened in a weird way. I initially purchased a rbta and they wouldn’t touch it. Then I purchased a ritteri anemone somewhat prematurely and they fell in love with it in about a week. Well, unfortunately my ritteri didn’t do well and only lasted about 3-4 weeks. My clownfish loved it up to the very end. After that I purchased 2 green bubble tip anemones weeks a part. It took about 2 weeks and they were in the green bta. I’m pretty sure they only got into it because they missed the ritteri and it was the closest thing they could find that resembled their dearly departed ritteri. They still haven’t so much as looked at me rbta but they love the green bta.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back