Getting coral but worried about worms

lilly.hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a weird and dumb question. So I am petrified of any types of worms. And my biggest fear is a worm outbreak in my tank. I’m buying coral from my friends tank and am wondering if worms can form from coral. I know bristle worms are helpful and a good CUC but I absolutely cannot stand their appearance. I know I’m a baby :anxious-face-with-sweat::loudly-crying-face:. I used dry rock when I started my tank to prevent as many as I could

Last edited:

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are a lot more worms than just bristle worms. On boy. Ahh... Get a wrasse to eat the ones who make themselves seen!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dip or leave in container while acclimation and any may come out. Arrow crab will address bristleworms

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never dealt with worms in my tanks, even when using rocks from LFS bins.

I did get large worms in my KP rocks, and I also culture bins of live whiteworms for fish food. ;)

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a weird and dumb question. So I am petrified of any types of worms. And my biggest fear is a worm outbreak in my tank. I’m buying coral from my friends tank and am wondering if worms can form from coral. I know bristle worms are helpful and a good CUC but I absolutely cannot stand their appearance. I know I’m a baby :anxious-face-with-sweat::loudly-crying-face:. I used dry rock when I started my tank to prevent as many as I could
Why don’t you ask your friend if she’s ever seen worms in her tank? It’s really not as common as people are making it out to be.

OP
OP
lilly.hall

lilly.hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why don’t you ask your friend if she’s ever seen worms in her tank? It’s really not as common as people are making it out to be.
Will do !

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This made me feel alot better
No problem!

Plus, Prazipro is a reef safe worm treatment used as a fish dewormer. It should kill most, if not all of the worms in a reef tank.

And even if you DO end up with worms (which is not so common), they will basically only come out at night.

Enjoy reefing! :)

OP
OP
lilly.hall

lilly.hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem!

Plus, Prazipro is a reef safe worm treatment used as a fish dewormer. It should kill most, if not all of the worms in a reef tank.

And even if you DO end up with worms (which is not so common), they will basically only come out at night.

Enjoy reefing! :)
Thanks again!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could have your friend give you coral frags that aren't attached to any frag plugs. That would mean minimal to no places for bristleworms to hide. They usually hide between the coral and the plug.

If you decide to purchase corals in the future from somewhere else, you could enlist a friend to remove them from their plugs and dip them. That way you wouldn't have to see the worms yourself, if there were any. It's relatively unlikely for bristleworms to show up on coral frags, but absolutely possible.

Bristleworms are quite common in tanks that don't avoid them, and do come out during the day if they smell food, so you'll definitely want to avoid having them in your tank.

OP
OP
lilly.hall

lilly.hall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have your friend give you coral frags that aren't attached to any frag plugs. That would mean minimal to no places for bristleworms to hide. They usually hide between the coral and the plug.

If you decide to purchase corals in the future from somewhere else, you could enlist a friend to remove them from their plugs and dip them. That way you wouldn't have to see the worms yourself, if there were any. It's relatively unlikely for bristleworms to show up on coral frags, but absolutely possible.

Bristleworms are quite common in tanks that don't avoid them, and do come out during the day if they smell food, so you'll definitely want to avoid having them in your tank.
Thanks!!

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back