Getting frustrated with overflow.

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a little back story because I know I did several things wrong. I drilled a 20 gallon long tank so that I could move everything from my old tank into this while I start my 120 gallon build. Well when I drilled this tank I first off did 1 inch drain and return which I should have went with 3/4.

But after plumbing it (first time plumber) I used a Strainer into a 90 degree and into the bulkhead. From there its a 90 and then various plumping to sump. It was making the worlds WORST sucking and gurgling sound.

So I figured there's gonna be a good chance I'm gonna need to cut some plumping out and re do some things so I would do a science experiment. I drilled a small hole in the 90 after the bulkhead. Well that just causes the water level to rise and continue to rise and doesn't really stop.

So I need some help. What should I do to fix this issue? I'm a bit frustrated and only have about another day before I need to break down this other tank and move everything over for holding.

OP
OP
DazAquariums

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4jxrEIx.jpg

9JrlS35.jpg
TcNykSc.jpg

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drain is not fully submerged, and that's some sort of a "durso" design. Just not going to work the way you have it setup. That's always going to make a ton of noise. Ideally, you want it to be a valve-controlled siphon (ball or gate valve) - completely full of water. You can angle the 90 degree elbow down, and start a siphon, but without an emergency drain in place, you run the risk of flooding if you lose the siphon.

I would highly recommend reading about different drain/return setups. Herbie and Bean are two popular implementations. Durso is essentially what you have, but configured slightly differently.

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would recommend two things. 1. drilling a hole in the vertical most point of your 90 and sticking a piece of rodi tubing down in it that stays above water level but goes down below water level on outside of tank. 2. Slow down your return pump until it gets to an equilibrium with the drain. It will get quieter. Trust me

bobman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
billwill is correct you need to run some rodi tubing down that hole you drilled. The sucking gurgling was the strainer trying to create a siphon till the water level dropped enough to suck air into it an cause the gurgle. By drilling a hole in the 90 outside the tank you have essentially broke the siphon but now its got a giant air bubble trapped in the plumbing blocking flow. The bubble cant rise to the top because of the flow of water pushing it back down. By sticking rodi tubing down that hole you will find the airbubble and basically burp the system and purge the air out. This will remove the bubble allowing more flow and should make the system as a hole run quieter

Nano man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a side note you can adjust the tube up and down to make it virtually quiet once you stick it in but make sure it's at least 4 inches I would say.
Wait that's sounds kind of dirty...........better make it 6

OP
OP
DazAquariums

DazAquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool! Yeah I drilled a hole and everything but I need to grab a gate valve to slow down the return pump. Ill have to swing to lowes and hope they got one tomorrow.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back