Getting my feet wet!

Crowbar

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there! I'm Crow, 30, from (currently chilly, sometimes beautiful) New Hampshire. Figured I may as well join this forum, considering the amount of times I've had it crop up in my googling recently.

I've recently fallen back into the fishkeeping hobby after not having had the time, space, or money to maintain a tank since high school. Started with a 65g freshwater tank back in September, and have since expanded to include a small neocaridina/betta tank, three axolotls, and most recently, my very first foray into what will hopefully be a reef tank!

It's a 20g long (I know bigger is better, but space and money are also issues currently - I'm not ruling out a bigger tank once our basement is finished in the future!), kind of scrapped together following some simple/beginner/cheap nano builds on youtube. I plan on slowly upgrading equipment as I go, so for now it's pretty bare bones - especially since I'm still trying to wrap my head around a lot of the saltwater concepts.

My tank is currently at what I think is the tail end of its cycle (today ammonia was finally 0, and although there's still some nitrites, my nitrates are becoming evident). I'm very excited to get the the point where I can add things to the tank, and am especially interested in corals! I have a vague stocking plan so far as fish go, but know next to nothing about corals other than what the beginner youtube videos I've been watching have told me.

I'm generally pretty shy about joining communities like this - mostly because more than not I have seen online fish keeping communities be very... mean? Judgmental? Not friendly? But, since reefkeeping has such a sharp learning curve to it, and I have zero friends or acquaintances interested in the hobby, it might be good to have a place where I can absorb knowledge and get help in the future!

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R
BareOpulentJumpingbean-small.gif

Dvanlier05

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the family. Yes you may get that mean person hear and there but R2R team is very good on handling that. Everyone hear at one point was in the same place as you so dont feel think it's a stupid question.
Some beginners advice, Things in this hobby dont happen fast, testing will help you stay ahead of problems, and do what you like it's your tank.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 16.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.3%
Back