Getting new 15 gallon reef tank, need help.

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, have bought a 15 gallon tank. I need the following questions answered:

Can i keep 1 clownfish, 1 yellow clown goby and 1 or 2 cleaner shrimp.

Are there any other fish tha can go in a 15 gallon with clownfish, im asking this because i might like your tanmates better than the goby.

Im very impatient so instead of cycling im going to use spring water, but add pure ph and bacteria that is made form cycling.

How do i get the corals into the live rock, does it just sit on the rock or does it grow.

Some of the corals gonna be on the substrate, can i just use normal beach sand.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im very impatient so instead of cycling im going to use spring water, but add pure ph and bacteria that is made form cycling.
I dont think you are going about this the tried and true way. You might be setting yourself up for problems that will take you 2x longer to get the tank in order for livestock.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to your post, you dont want to cycle your tank, Thats what im talking about. A tank needs to grow bacteria in the rock and sand to process waste. If there is not enough bacteria the waste will produce ammonia levels that will kill your livestock

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to your post, you dont want to cycle your tank, Thats what im talking about. A tank needs to grow bacteria in the rock and sand to process waste. If there is not enough bacteria the waste will produce ammonia levels that will kill your livestock
I will use bottled bactiria?

kados

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you already have multiple similar threads. I can tell so far on the being impatient (joking but I get it, we've all been there). Getting started is exciting! Everyone will tell you to take it slow. It's the best advice. So many great resources on here. Search will be your best friend. The cycling thread has been provided by another member. There are quick ways to cycle so you're in luck. I'm not exactly sure what the methods mentioned above are. Are you talking about bottles bacteria?

As for your corals question, they can sit on your rock or substrate. They will attach to whatever they sit on. You're still a bit far out from there but good questions. Nail down cycling first. As for your fish selection, that would be max stocking for that size but I'll nano keepers weigh in.

OP
OP
Obsessed with fish

Obsessed with fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you already have multiple similar threads. I can tell so far on the being impatient (joking but I get it, we've all been there). Getting started is exciting! Everyone will tell you to take it slow. It's the best advice. So many great resources on here. Search will be your best friend. The cycling thread has been provided by another member. There are quick ways to cycle so you're in luck. I'm not exactly sure what the methods mentioned above are. Are you talking about bottles bacteria?

As for your corals question, they can sit on your rock or substrate. They will attach to whatever they sit on. You're still a bit far out from there but good questions. Nail down cycling first. As for your fish selection, that would be max stocking for that size but I'll nano keepers weigh in.
Thank you, what i was gonna do is i was gonna add spring water than add the bacteria you get from cycling, i will also add pure ph.

Uzidaisies

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instead of spring water, use reverse osmosis water to mix your saltwater, or buy real ocean water such as this;
B06C915F-8A86-4950-9D06-4B9FDA018D67.jpeg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your idea to add spring water? It is full of desolved metals that you will be adding to your tank, I think everyone would probably agree its a bad idea. If you really want to buy bottled water, then get the distilled water, distilled water is similar to RODI water.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have alluded to, you need to tap on the brakes and take a pause. There are a lot of (incorrect) assumptions that you’re making in terms of what you can and can’t do without really understanding the basic fundamentals. You need to do a lot more reading to educate yourself first or this is going to fail spectacularly before you even get your first fish in the tank.

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just get a cheap RO/DI filter off of Amazon?

I’ve been using this for about 6 months and it’s great.

Saying that you are impatient to start with is no good. This hobby is all about patience. (Most learn that the hard way, including me)

Properly cycling a tank the correct way will get your tank off the ground and going In the right direction.

Pumbandad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing this for over a year now… started the wrong way! Hit the 20 gal tank, RoDI eater, rocks, Bahamas sand, and throw everything in there! Please don’t do that!!! Ah small detail I was missing, throw 6 little blue fishes in there!… I still have two of those original 6. The survivors… they have go through every mistake i’ve made! Get as much info as you can and go slow… And keep in mind this hobby will keep you busy at least a couple of hours a week, and is not a cheap on either… but once you get to love it, you’ll never stop!

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been doing this for over a year now… started the wrong way! Hit the 20 gal tank, RoDI eater, rocks, Bahamas sand, and throw everything in there! Please don’t do that!!! Ah small detail I was missing, throw 6 little blue fishes in there!… I still have two of those original 6. The survivors… they have go through every mistake i’ve made! Get as much info as you can and go slow… And keep in mind this hobby will keep you busy at least a couple of hours a week, and is not a cheap on either… but once you get to love it, you’ll never stop!
I concur with this - never use a live fish to cycle your tank. It’s cruel.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, have bought a 15 gallon tank. I need the following questions answered:

Can i keep 1 clownfish, 1 yellow clown goby and 1 or 2 cleaner shrimp.

Are there any other fish tha can go in a 15 gallon with clownfish, im asking this because i might like your tanmates better than the goby.

How do i get the corals into the live rock, does it just sit on the rock or does it grow.

Some of the corals gonna be on the substrate, can i just use normal beach sand.
that won't really speed cycling, if you cannot wait for a two week cycling this is not really the hobby for you, it takes a lot of time. You can make cycling a bit faster with live rock, bottled bacteria. You can use live sand, but beach sand that you collect can have harmful parasites or contamination. those fish will be fine, make sure to get a smaller clownfish, maybe get an anemone. You buy coral fragments (frags) and basically stick them to rocks. but they will die if your water is not good. also please do some more research on the hobby

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dont fish cycle, that method is cruel and very outdated

Back