Getting new Convict Tang to eat in QT

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All valid concerns ^^^ Sometimes I think the feeding/grazing motions tangs & angels do when they are sick is almost like muscle reflex memory. They go through the motions but don't actually eat. Really odd.
One thing to consider, the dose of praziquantel liquid in Prazipro contains oxybispropanol. That is the chemical that reacts to keep the praziquantel in solution but it also contributes to the consuming of oxygen and bacterial bloom. That's where you have an advantage with General Cure. It's a powder that's largely metro and the dose of praziquantel is lower but does the job. I regularly use GC instead of the liquid Prazipro. So you have as much information as possible.
Here's a thread by Humblefish on GC. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/api-general-cure.195229/#post-2236352

Last edited:

MontiFanatic402

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm having the same problem with my powder blue tang. I've tried so many foods, I'll be stocked up for years! So I feel your pain!

OP
OP
bean2986

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I definitely have some thinking to do. At this point, it's either over treat $450 in other fish and increase the risk of killing them, or ride it out and hope for the best with the Convict.

Reading that article and some others, destroying the nitrifying bacteria seems probable, and some of the others could be metro sensitive. I have three perfectly healthy tangs that I'm not sure I want to risk...

Most likely plan moving forward will to be to hope the Convict makes it to day 14 copper, and if still not eating move the other 3 to the DT, then dose QT tank with Metro. I don't want him to perish, but it's better than killing all 4. The others will eat Focus/ Metro food so I can treat them whenever.

This sucks :( at least I can sit at work tonight and think it over.

OP
OP
bean2986

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up moving all 4 tangs over to the DT. And guess what? He has Lympho! He's eating off rocks and the sand, but he's very fatigued. I'm optimistic, but concerned that he wont beat Lympho while being emaciated. Time will tell

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lympho seldom kills fish. It kinda comes and goes. Pristine water conditions and high quality foods work best. But, be on guard for secondary bacterial infections. Keep a good supply of one or more of these Kanaplex, Furan2, Maracyn 2, Nitrofurazine Green Powder. And if a nasty bacterial infection does pop up, the trifecta of Kanaplex, Metro, and Furan2 is the way to go.

U

User1

View Badges
I don't recall what region that tang hails from but another source of algae that one can maintain is from IPSF. I do not have any now but when I had my 100 gallon years ago my Kole and Yellow tangs loved that stuff and it was easy to maintain / grow. Once my new tank is up and running I plan on getting some more.

ZachR32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can most likely beat lympho...but it's like Big G said, comes and goes. Currently no way to rid of it. As long as he is grazing unbothered I wouldn't worry. Should accept food with time. Keep us updated!

OP
OP
bean2986

bean2986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We lost power during the Noreaster on Friday. He immediately started hiding and freaking out when the tank switched on and off a few times. After a few hours, power was back but he still was acting stressed. He never moved from his spot as of last night.

Fast forward to today- stuck alive on a powerhead when I woke up. I freed him, but he lasted an hour max. Everyone else was business as usual.

I learned a lot from this ordeal, but man, I am never buying a fish that doesn't eat at the store EVER again.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 29 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back