Getting new setup for my buddies

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may be getting a new tank today it’s 55 gallons I have never had a tank this big I basically don’t know anything about the chemical balance that everybody does to achieve a clear water tank I have had 220 gallon tanks for a long time and have used a very unconventional method of keeping them clean as in I do complete 100% water changes every six weeks and take everything out of tank to be rich down with hot water including rocks on the bottom I live very close to the bay about two blocks so this method has been easy for me but with 55 gallons I don’t have enough buckets to carry that much water I am going to have to learn from scratch and pray that my Seahorse’s are happy. I do read a lot of the post that people make on this website regarding chemicals nitrate levels blah blah blah

620E40C8-236A-4DF0-AAFC-AFDBDEB50F43.png

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've had 220 gallon tanks and the 55 is too big TE]
You've had 220 gallon tanks and the 55 is too big?
ment to read 2 twenty gallon tanks as in two separate tanks 20gal apiece
I may be getting a new tank today it’s 55 gallons I have never had a tank this big I basically don’t know anything about the chemical balance that everybody does to achieve a clear water tank I have had 220 gallon tanks for a long time and have used a very unconventional method of keeping them clean as in I do complete 100% water changes every six weeks and take everything out of tank to be rich down with hot water including rocks on the bottom I live very close to the bay about two blocks so this method has been easy for me but with 55 gallons I don’t have enough buckets to carry that much water I am going to have to learn from scratch and pray that my Seahorse’s are happy. I do read a lot of the post that people make on this website regarding chemicals nitrate levels blah blah blah

620E40C8-236A-4DF0-AAFC-AFDBDEB50F43.png

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah gotcha. I wouldn't do 100% water changes. 20-40% should be more than enough for you, weekly or biweekly, unless your facing big issues.

Also, why do pull everything (live rock) out of the tank to rinse off in hot water? Not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure you're killing off the good stuff in the rocks with the hot water.

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah gotcha. I wouldn't do 100% water changes. 20-40% should be more than enough for you, weekly or biweekly, unless your facing big issues.

Also, why do pull everything (live rock) out of the tank to rinse off in hot water? Not 100% certain, but I'm pretty sure you're killing off the good stuff in the rocks with the hot water.
Not live rock the fake pebbles u put on bottom. Everything I have is from Walmart

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not live rock the fake pebbles u put on bottom. Everything I have is from Walmart
Plus this is the first time I’m hearing of actual tank care. Never herd about it until I joined site had no idea was doing everything wrong. But my horses are happy healthy and alive going on two years

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plus this is the first time I’m hearing of actual tank care. Never herd about it until I joined site had no idea was doing everything wrong. But my horses are happy healthy and alive going on two years
I think your need of large water changes is because your tanks are overstocked. Not trying to give you hell, just 10 SH's in a 20 gal is alot to ask of such a relatively small tank volume.

Technically the 50 gal will also be overstocked by about a little more than twice what the max would normally be recommended.

One good thing about artificial decor is it can be completely cleaned. SH's are definitely messy.

In order to help more specifically it would be helpful to know what your tank parameters are (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, phos, etc) before your 100% water changes and after.

matchmakersmagic

Seahorse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a SW test kit or have a LFS close by that can test your water for you? I'd highly recommend starting at the beginning and getting a test kit so you can get a feel for the eb and flow of the typical tank parameters in your pony tanks.

Cloudy water can be caused by many things. Starting at the bottom and working up we can definitely help you sort out the cause(s).

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your need of large water changes is because your tanks are overstocked. Not trying to give you hell, just 10 SH's in a 20 gal is alot to ask of such a relatively small tank volume.

Technically the 50 gal will also be overstocked by about a little more than twice what the max would normally be recommended.

One good thing about artificial decor is it can be completely cleaned. SH's are definitely messy.

In order to help more specifically it would be helpful to know what your tank parameters are (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, phos, etc) before your 100% water changes and after.
My tanks are more or less balanced couple big mostly medium and some small ones and like I’ve said they r all happy n healthy. There is 10 in each tank. Also I’m only gonna put 15 horses in new 55gal tank and keep my favorite 5 in tank in my room

image.jpg

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a SW test kit or have a LFS close by that can test your water for you? I'd highly recommend starting at the beginning and getting a test kit so you can get a feel for the eb and flow of the typical tank parameters in your pony tanks.

Cloudy water can be caused by many things. Starting at the bottom and working up we can definitely help you sort out the cause(s).
When I got the 125gal tank I had a professional aquarium person with 25yrs experience he is the one who talked me out of the 125 gallon tank that’s why I gave it away anyway he asked if he could check my water with his test kit and I let him when he did his test both of my tanks were within 2% of everything I would want it to be he was shocked at the results And said that whatever I was doing was working but unnecessary for such a big cleaning

OP
OP
Paulie069

Paulie069

Random Acts Of Kindness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you using for filtration? Is that a hang on penguin wheel type filter I see?
To be honest I’m not sure this is also new to me because like I’ve posted in the past I just use those hanging filtration systems from Walmart I have so much to learn

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back