Getting red polyps from RR pink floyd

reefer4816

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so have a Pink Floyd frag that is decently large now and I’ve never gotten the vibrant red polyps you see in photos.

Anyone have ideas how to improve the red in the polyps?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a photo for reference?

29bonsaireef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think a lot of it has to do with the photos, and they may only exist in photos. I've yet to see a PF with true "red" polyps in person. There may be some out there.. but the red only seems to show well under heavy actinic. In a more daylight spectrum they always look brownish/maroon, IMO. I have mine sitting around 450 par. It looks real nice, but the only time I would consider it close to red, like many of the photos is under straight blue actinics looking through orange glasses. Maybe others have got the red to shine through, but I think it really just depends on the lighting you're viewing it under.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this. I have seen only about three different specimens of PF in person, but none of them look like the photos. I am trading for some soon to keep in my own home so I might change my mind later on...

The photos on Boom's website are pretty legit, IMO.... brownish pinkish maroonish polyps?

You might get a ton of advice about iodine, iron or other things to bring out red, but none of them are effective, IMO. The only thing that helps red is more daylight spectrum, but even this cannot make this coral red that I have seen - one of my friends keeps it under 10K Hammy MH and it still does not have red polyps, but it look great otherwise.

BoomCorals

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with this. I have seen only about three different specimens of PF in person, but none of them look like the photos. I am trading for some soon to keep in my own home so I might change my mind later on...

The photos on Boom's website are pretty legit, IMO.... brownish pinkish maroonish polyps?

You might get a ton of advice about iodine, iron or other things to bring out red, but none of them are effective, IMO. The only thing that helps red is more daylight spectrum, but even this cannot make this coral red that I have seen - one of my friends keeps it under 10K Hammy MH and it still does not have red polyps, but it look great otherwise.
Exactly. Maroon is about the normal color of the PF polyps.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back