gfci outlet -- will they flip and cause tank to crash?

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
re: gfci outlet, I love the idea of not being electrocuted, but I also have a question. Does every component of the tank get hooked into one, or all but the circulation pumps. My concern is, I think these things routinely get triggered in a normal house setting (am I wrong here?), and would hate the tank to crash if this happened.

My other question, is would this be adequate:
GFCI extension cord, amazon

Last question, I have an outlet IN THE FLOOR about 5 feet from the tank. Seems like electrocution waiting to happen. I live in a condo, so limits what I can rip apart. I am having sleepless nights worried about the outlet in the floor and the puddle of saltwater that might lay above it.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
re: gfci outlet, I love the idea of not being electrocuted, but I also have a question. Does every component of the tank get hooked into one, or all but the circulation pumps. My concern is, I think these things routinely get triggered in a normal house setting (am I wrong here?), and would hate the tank to crash if this happened.

My other question, is would this be adequate:
GFCI extension cord, amazon

Last question, I have an outlet IN THE FLOOR about 5 feet from the tank. Seems like electrocution waiting to happen. I live in a condo, so limits what I can rip apart. I am having sleepless nights worried about the outlet in the floor and the puddle of saltwater that might lay above it.
I am not fond on them with multiple components as it can cause issues when all components are shut down. Battery backups are safest with power interuptions

Gatorpa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on the gfci, some are more sensitive. The bigger issue is arc fault detection, those can trip just from minor changes in draw. Many electronics make them trip over nothing.
Bad thing on a tank.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never run any aquarium equipment on one. I've tripped more GFI's with a hairdryer.
You can replace it but I would be more worried about it on the floor like you said.

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I go on a vacation, a tiny blip in power will trip my gcfi power strip and half my equipments are dead. I use the gcfi for my doser, ato, and heater. The essentials like lights and pumps are not on gcfi

ninjamyst

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can also get water detection device as part of your security system or standalone. That way, if there is a leak, you get notified. But I would also change the outlet in the floor to be gcfi or completely disable it if not being used. It's a simple diy job and you can always put back the original outlet when you move.

GarrettT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything near water gets plugged into a GFI. Never had a trip outside of accidentally spilling water on it a few times, which I’m thankful for… All GFIs run on line terminals independently. I would never rely on a single GFI, just like how I would never rely on a single circuit breaker. Does code not require floor outlets be GFI? Either way it only takes 2 minutes to implement and I really don’t think any sane person would care.

OP
OP
D

David3147

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anything near water gets plugged into a GFI. Never had a trip outside of accidentally spilling water on it a few times, which I’m thankful for… All GFIs run on line terminals independently. I would never rely on a single GFI, just like how I would never rely on a single circuit breaker. Does code not require floor outlets be GFI? Either way it only takes 2 minutes to implement and I really don’t think any sane person would care.

I too was wondering why the heck my floor outlet is not gfi! (CA residence)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back