GFO clogging. I could never solve this problem.

DerekC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GFO clogging. I could never solve this problem.
Either media itself turns into dust inside reactor (even if mixed with GAC), or detritus got pumped into the media, or the sponge at the top (output) is clogging. Then it also steals some of the return pump flow (or needing another pump, another AC outlet).
Adding a prefilter somehow? Too much plumbing and u will worry if one of those nylon clamp breaks loose, water will be on your floor and your tank will be emptied.

The constant attention it needs to check and adjust the flow is just not worth it.

If flow is stopped for a few days, u better don't turn it back on without emptying the GFO that smells like sewer.

Don't waste $ buying those "reactors." Don't let it steal your return pump follow. Phosban reactor never work correctly without clogging and changing media or sponge filter is just hassle. Their O-rings NEVER SEAL! And then GFO dyes everything brown!

At the end I just dump half a cup into one of my 4 filter socks every time I change them. And using lanthanum chloride with IV bag dripping is always a better option.

TheDragonsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive ran gfo in a reactor for years and never had an issue, maybe it's just the reactor youre using. Always rinse it before use and it shouldnt turn anything brown. I change mine and clean filters ever 30-45 days

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 19 30.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 82.5%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.8%
Back