GFO with Pax Bellum Arid??

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been running the Arid N18 for about a month now and it is growing chaeto like a beast! Last week my no3 was around 20 and po4 at .4 Wanting to get that down some I did a wc and ran the last bit of gfo I had for about 24hrs. As of now, my no3 is about 15 and po4 is .2 ish. (Hanna checker for phosphate and nyos for nitrate) My only concern at this point is I don't think the PB reactor will be able to keep up with the phosphate quite like it will nitrates. I would like to get to the point of very few water changes. I'm thinking 2 large wc's per year, instead of icp tests, would be ideal. All that said, Pax Bellum recommends not running gfo with the Arid. But if I'm only using, say a teaspoon mixed in my carbon reactor, enough to keep me at the magical .03, then there shouldn't be any issues for the chaeto. Does this sound right or am I missing something? With what I paid for this Arid I can't afford for it not to work!
20210527_191751.jpg

AutumnReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with 4 hours and have increased it to 10 hours over the past month

You can definitely increase it. You have enough nitrate to bring the phosphate down some more. Try going longer, maybe 12 or 16 till to get levels that you want

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can definitely increase it. You have enough nitrate to bring the phosphate down some more. Try going longer, maybe 12 or 16 till to get levels that you want
That's the plan. I figured best to take it slow! I'm only curious about the gfo along with the reactor in case the chaeto doesn't keep up.

OP
OP
K

Klyle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What did u end up doing?
Sorry, I haven’t been on this site in a while. I ended up ditching the reactor. It didn’t take long. IMO they’re more trouble than they’re worth. The chaeto sucks all kinds of trace elements from your water, that your corals would otherwise use. If you’re looking for an effective, easy to dial in method of keeping nutrients in check, I recommend sticking with carbon dosing. You will need patience. If you’re looking for some solid info on why carbon dosing is superior to other methods, look up any long format videos with Lou Elkos, from Tropic Maron. I might have spelled his name wrong. He’s been on Reef Dudes, BRS, and many other podcasts. He is the man and he only spits facts.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 136 87.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back