GHA and phosphates?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a start, would dosing reef roids for the corals help in upping the nutrients in the tank ie. Nitrates and Phosphates?

It will add carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus. Best thing though is to feed your fish more. The ammonia and urea from the fish is ideal sources of nitrogen and phosphorus for corals and fish poop is a significant part of the carbon cycle. Feeding corals prepared foods is problematic as corals have very species specific responses and what benefits one species harms another species and a third species may be indifferent.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It will add carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus. Best thing though is to feed your fish more. The ammonia and urea from the fish is ideal sources of nitrogen and phosphorus for corals and fish poop is a significant part of the carbon cycle. Feeding corals prepared foods is problematic as corals have very species specific responses and what benefits one species harms another species and a third species may be indifferent.
I have been feeding an assortment of pellet several times a day. I am going to start mixing in frozen mysis as well when I can.

It doesn't help that I have a light bioload with 1 YT and 2 Clowns right now, so until I can get more fish, I will need to supplement nutrients into the tank.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As a start, would dosing reef roids for the corals help in upping the nutrients in the tank ie. Nitrates and Phosphates?

If there's a risk of adding more stress to already stressed corals I wouldn't do it myself. Based on what I've read directly feeding corals prepared foods should be left to individuals with lots of experience with the corals in their system and have at least some intuitive understanding of what each coral wants and whether direct feeding is benefiting or harming it.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If there's a risk of adding more stress to already stressed corals I wouldn't do it myself. Based on what I've read directly feeding corals prepared foods should be left to individuals with lots of experience with the corals in their system and have at least some intuitive understanding of what each coral wants and whether direct feeding is benefiting or harming it.
I was thinking more broadcast feeding, not necessarily targeted.

OP
OP
blackstallion

blackstallion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update...by overfeeding, I now have measurable amounts of PO4=0.18ppm and NO4=4ppm. I have yet to purchase a Sea Hare or other Herbivores to battle the GHA (I have a large YT but not sure Tangs eat GHA), but at least Cyano and Dinos is not an issue!

Any opinions on whether I overshot the PO4?

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear they can secrete toxins, are they safe?
They are safe, but can "ink" the tank if stressed by something like getting caught in a power head of something. The "ink" will foul the tank if filtration is not adequate. It doesn't happen often, but it could. I had one ink my 90. No harm except the skimmer cup and filter socks were black for weeks.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 65 31.4%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 56 27.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back