GHL Mini User Experience - Surprising Capability for the Price

Busy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't find much user experience info on the GHL Mini, so here is my opinion after using the Mini for six months. Like the title says, I think it is a very capable unit at a great price for what it does. I will not attempt to list everything that the Mini does and does not do, because the info on the GHL international site does a good job of explaining it in my opinion.

My current usage has the Mini controlling a bank of T5s and two 1-10v channels for Kessil LEDs (intensity and color), controlling heaters and a bank of GHL fans (variable speed through 1-10v), and monitoring temp and pH. I am currently not using two of the switched powerbar outlets and one of the 1-10v outputs which means I could still expand without purchasing anything else, provided my existing equipment can be controlled by an outlet or 1-10v. For example, I have been toying with the idea of the Mini controlling a BRS dosing pump based on pH reading, though I haven't worked out how (or whether) I want that to work yet.

One other thing to mention is I appreciate that the Mini uses the same desktop software as the other GHL controllers.

Since I almost never post on forums I'll tell a bit about myself for context. First saltwater aquarium nearly 30 years ago, first reef in 1993, 7 year break in there in the late 90s/early 00s. Three tanks currently, 30G AIO (the mini is on this system) and two 10 gallon reefs (my son's and a QT that runs all the time), mixed reefs with lots of corals and moderate fish/invert loads. Never purchased a computerized controller before the Mini, but I have significant experience with the RKL and original Apex. My dad has shown me his new Apex too. For my usage and level of technical ability I think this little GHL is the best unit out there. It has both impressed me as a great value on its own and sold me on the Profilux 4 system for a much larger build in the future.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a less expensive (affordable?) but seriously capable entry into aquarium control. IME the Mini slates below the Profilux 4e in capability and price, and that it isn't going anywhere at the moment, but I suppose @Marco@GHLUSA @Vinny@GHLUSA would have real insight there.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very informative. I didnt know GHL has a mini version. I'll check it out, sounds like a competitor for Apex EL

reeferKen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't you still have to buy the $120 dollar STDL-4-4 power bar in addition to the mini? Thanks in advance

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very informative. I didnt know GHL has a mini version. I'll check it out, sounds like a competitor for Apex EL

Not quite, the mini does not have network capability (Wi-Fi or Ethernet). So no alarms via email or text.

If it did, I would definitely consider one for my 15g tank.

ingchr1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back