GHL Probes leaking electricity into Sump

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

For quite some time Ive thought Ive detected electrical charge in my sump water but it was kind of hard to detect unless there was an open sore on my hand or something. This has seemed to get worse in the last year or so, and when I put my hand in, initially there is quite a charge.

Anyhoo after much troubleshooting Ive tracked it down to my GHL probes. I have 4 probes - the salinity probe seems to be the worse of the 4 (which makes sense since I believe it uses charge to determine salinity) but the others are not 'innocent' either. Has anyone else encountered this issue? I cant imagine its good for the tank.

Thanks

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Complex subject - in a nutshell, the probes are not capable of sourcing a meaningful amount of current. Likewise, they could be acting as a current ground for another source. Lastly, given potential, current will flow if it has a path to lower potential. This could be induced current (friction, magnetic, etc.).

Your skin when cut is extremely sensitive to tiny amount of current.

Measuring (properly) current flow in the aquarium is actually pretty hard.

Is your equipment on. GFCI?

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Complex subject - in a nutshell, the probes are not capable of sourcing a meaningful amount of current. Likewise, they could be acting as a current ground for another source. Lastly, given potential, current will flow if it has a path to lower potential. This could be induced current (friction, magnetic, etc.).

Your skin when cut is extremely sensitive to tiny amount of current.

Measuring (properly) current flow in the aquarium is actually pretty hard.

Is your equipment on. GFCI?
Thanks for the response. Excuse my ignorance- GFCI? I have the probes running out of the back of the Profilux into the sump and being held by a probe holder.

it seems to have gotten worse to me to the point where I wince when I stick my hands in the water or touch the sump rim. I’ve shut off all other power sources via the power bars and the charge in the water remained. The only thing that seemed to stop it was removing the probes.

Any ideas on options I have to either ground or to double check the source?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response. Excuse my ignorance- GFCI? I have the probes running out of the back of the Profilux into the sump and being held by a probe holder.

it seems to have gotten worse to me to the point where I wince when I stick my hands in the water or touch the sump rim. I’ve shut off all other power sources via the power bars and the charge in the water remained. The only thing that seemed to stop it was removing the probes.

Any ideas on options I have to either ground or to double check the source?
They may be called rcb or rcbo receptacles in Israel. They would sense imbalance current between hot and neutral and trip.

There should not be mains voltage on any GHL probe. The Profilix runs off of low voltage DC. The probes so have a ground path I would assume.

You will need to fully unplug each device when testing, not just turn it off. I assume you have a mains voltage device connected that has a partial fault. A pump, heater or light ballast.

OP
OP
Forty-Two

Forty-Two

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They may be called rcb or rcbo receptacles in Israel. They would sense imbalance current between hot and neutral and trip.

There should not be mains voltage on any GHL probe. The Profilix runs off of low voltage DC. The probes so have a ground path I would assume.

You will need to fully unplug each device when testing, not just turn it off. I assume you have a mains voltage device connected that has a partial fault. A pump, heater or light ballast.
Thanks. Will take a closer look, and the rcb/rcbo receptacles.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back