GHL Profilux 4 is this a game changing controller

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to hate, owned a couple of Mercedes in my lifetime, Drive a Silverado now. Appreciate the high end of things. But if I am on the side of the road and need help, my chances are better in that Chevy is all I'm saying. Much love---

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always believe in using everything out there and then I can make an informed decision. The problem I have found in this hobby is most do not do this. They rely on what everyone else does or there are more people doing this. Having been in the marine hobby since 1985. If many of us early reefers had followed along with what everyone else was doing the hobby would not be what it is today.
I am an industrial PLC programmer so these type of controllers are something I use on a daily basis. Though someone are more advanced than others. I have had Apex since the beginning and I have use GHL
now.
The support you get with Apex is broad in that there a ton of users wanting support. That doesn't mean or does that make it a great product.
GHL has a more personal approach their support team works with each user to help them set up or tackle a programming issue.
I use GHL now because I found it to be a better fit for me. I do not like the tons of little boxes that have to be bought to make things work. In a Profilux everything you need is in the box and you can open it up an add a card for special functions.

Dumaurier7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the Apex camp ( soon to be out!) although the support may be good , it aches me that I have to constantly access the facility! In my opinion the controller should be rock solid[emoji844]the apex is not.

rizorido

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new apex 2016 works perfect and hands down exceeded my expectations ... I would only change if I see problems ..

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm thinking about getting this for my new set up. My tank is on the smaller size. A reef savvy 30x30x18. I already have a red dragon return pump and 2 mp10wqd. I know it can control both of those. Im not 100% set on lights but leaning towards the new radion G4 pro. Will have have full control of that with this controller?
How do you program these controllers?
Is quality the only thing I'm gaining over the apex? And looks new apex is ugly!
Can I see readings and control stuff from my phone in and outside my home?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can program the controller with a PC program and with the myGHL web browser. The myGHL let's you see and control outside your home.
If you want to go LED check out the Mitras more pucks than a Ecotech. I went back to using MH after using Radions for my SPS tank was not happy with the growth with LED's.

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can program the controller with a PC program and with the myGHL web browser. The myGHL let's you see and control outside your home.
If you want to go LED check out the Mitras more pucks than a Ecotech. I went back to using MH after using Radions for my SPS tank was not happy with the growth with LED's.
Do you know if you can have dull control over the Radions with the GHL? If I go LEDS i will likely do with them because of the new lenses design. I am a big MH fan though so I may stick with those.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ecotech did not give GHL the go ahead since they had the Mithras. Ecotech is going in a closed direction in the future so don't count on with to work with controller companies forever. The lenses will not help much unless you put a lot of xr30 pro's on the tank. Check out the new Reefbrites MH LED system it uses less amps than the Radions.

ss95003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware that ecotech is going closed but MPs are still the cleanest power heads on the market do no way around them, k hate cords in the tank. I got a red dragon return pump since ecotechs new pump didn't talk to controllers. Even tough I could have got 2 of those for less then the RD. My tank is only 30x30 so one xr30 will cover just fine. Still undecided on lights and controller.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently you need to use parallels or virtual image of windows to run the GCC software. I use both to program mine depending on how involved I am with programming. There are things coming down the pipeline that are exciting though. [emoji3]

TheReefKeeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always believe in using everything out there and then I can make an informed decision. The problem I have found in this hobby is most do not do this. They rely on what everyone else does or there are more people doing this. Having been in the marine hobby since 1985. If many of us early reefers had followed along with what everyone else was doing the hobby would not be what it is today.
I am an industrial PLC programmer so these type of controllers are something I use on a daily basis. Though someone are more advanced than others. I have had Apex since the beginning and I have use GHL
now.
The support you get with Apex is broad in that there a ton of users wanting support. That doesn't mean or does that make it a great product.
GHL has a more personal approach their support team works with each user to help them set up or tackle a programming issue.
I use GHL now because I found it to be a better fit for me. I do not like the tons of little boxes that have to be bought to make things work. In a Profilux everything you need is in the box and you can open it up an add a card for special functions.

Couldn't agree with this more! Very well said and I've had the same time in the hobby and have also used both I will never look back at what I feel is still old technology and even worse support GHL for me can't wait to see what they do with this new unit

cbear44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wise ones with Profilux experience.

I'm trying to make my decision between the Profilux 4 (Mega set probably) and other options out there. I looked at the PDF guide for the Profilux 3 but I'm still don't have a complete understanding the interface, work flows, how the GHL web interface works on a day to day basis.

Sadly not much on Youtube or other Internet video sources on how to use the Profilux 3. In particular I'm interested in how the monitoring graph sheets look, how the app works (I downloaded the app but can't access anything obviously) and any other programming basics.

Can anyone help with either screen shots or a video of their Profilux 3 interface/App? This would really help me get a better sense of how the GHL family of controllers would fit with my work flow and system.

(cross post from GHL forum on Profilux 4)

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will post a walk thru of the GCC interface for you. It might not be till Friday thou if that is ok.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back