GHL Profilux 4 is this a game changing controller

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi just seen this brief overview of the new Profilux 4, can't wait for more details, could this end the apex domination??

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/09/14/profilux-4-updates-ghls-flagship-aquarium-controller/

ghl-profilux-4-aquarium-controller-1.jpg

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's certainly a nice looking controller and I hear nothing but good things about Profilux.

Apex still has the better power bar though and is much cheaper.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apex still has the better power bar though and is much cheaper.
How so? The GHL powerbars are built incredibly well and the price difference between the two systems, comparing apples to apples, is small.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Apex power has 8 controlled and monitored outlets and comes with built-in 1link outlets. The GHL is 5 and the monitoring wasn't as comprehensive (I could be wrong on that part, I forget where I read the comparison).

Assuming the price on the new GHL doesn't increase a (mostly) equal system is $970 to the new Apex $800. ~$170 more is a 20% price difference and significant to me.

Had the new model been out already though, I would have given it serious consideration before I bought the new Apex. But I still think the new power monitoring capabilities of the new Apex power bar would have swayed me. It's the reason I didn't cheap out and get a classic.

purplereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hope this 1000 dollar controller has a better screen on it then they used for there dosing units.

ReefRocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just hope this 1000 dollar controller has a better screen on it then they used for there dosing units.

Where did you get that figure? Pricing hasn't even been announced yet. I'm sure the controller itself won't even come close to that price.

The screen issue was about 5 years ago, it turned out to be an issue with their supplier. That was since fixed, again several years ago. Shouldn't be an issue with this P4 controller.

purplereef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm, great. Then why do ALL replacement screens last around 2 months. So all of the replacement screens are from this phantom supplier as well? This was fixed how? Are you talking about the doser or the controller?

Waboss

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
This looks like it'll be the trigger for me to switch from my Apex to Profilux. I've been thinking about it for a while and almost did it a few weeks ago. Glad I waited.

I really like the new casing design and footprint. It'll match my doser 2's nicely.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually the controller is way less than a 1000 dollars. [emoji3] GHL also makes all their equipment in house to make sure of the QA Even their pumps fir their dosers are made in house now.

locito277

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's safe to say they are both good units. Figure 10-15 yrs ago there wasn't anything near what we have now and there were still great systems up and running. I'm trying to figure out my Apex as we speak lol. Everything else is so much easier than code lol

ReefRocker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ummm, great. Then why do ALL replacement screens last around 2 months. So all of the replacement screens are from this phantom supplier as well? This was fixed how? Are you talking about the doser or the controller?

Not sure where you're getting 2 months from, but anyways, they stopped producing the Gen 1 dosers over 3 years ago. When the screens were an issue, they found the problem and changed to a new supplier. Fast forward to the present, the Doser 2 units don't have a screen. As Reefwiser mentioned, GHL equipment is designed and made in-house so QC is more refined.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To each their own but a few extra outlets doesn't make the powerbar "better" to me. Buy a second one if you need more (i did) and now you have 10. 8 wouldn't be enough for me.
GHL keeps it simple and clean. No need to plug anything into the powerbars other than the power cables.
You can see real time power draw on each outlet. Personally, I don't see the need for anything else. But that's just me.
And $1-200 for the higher quality setup that won't crash my tank is peanuts when it's responsible for thousands of dollars worth of livestock. To me, that's key.
I never had a problem with my doser screen. And the new Doser 2 is just amazing.

That new Profilux looks incredible. All those outlets on the back... I love how my current Profilux doesn't require all those separate modules... this looks even better!
Can't wait to get my hands on one and test it out! :)

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just waiting for official price and release date, then I will be buying the ultimate pack, I've been watching the controller developments and new releases avidly for the last few months, waiting to decide which to buy, and Profilux 4 seems to win hands down, if it has the reliability of the previous versions and doesn't suffer from the same appealing launch of the new apex it should be a winner all around, nearly everything in one module, flow meters, and the famous German reliability.

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hope that famous German reliability is better than BMW reliability.

OP
OP
Mortie31

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The discussion about the apex powerbar EB8 having power monitoring is unfortunately irrelevant for most of the rest of the world as currently Neptune are not going to sell this version other than in the US, we will probably be stuck with the powerbar 6 with its mechanical switching. This is where the European manufacturers stand out as they will supply in various voltages and power outlet designs worldwide, which I'm afraid Neptune seem unwilling to do...

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I may have come across as being strongly for the Apex, but truth is I'd love to have the GHL. It just happened that at this time, for my needs the Apex fit better.

If I happen to win the Partner raffle, maybe I'll put a Profilux on that tank. A reefer can dream...

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my apex, 3 PB 8, DOS, VDM, ASM, PM2, and soon will be adding a 1 Link, 150g mixed with emerald 39 Trigger sump. Fusion puts it all together for me. I am sure the GHL is all its cranked up to be. But does it have the same following and community support as the APEX nation.

rockworm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my apex, 3 PB 8, DOS, VDM, ASM, PM2, and soon will be adding a 1 Link, 150g mixed with emerald 39 Trigger sump. Fusion puts it all together for me. I am sure the GHL is all its cranked up to be. But does it have the same following and community support as the APEX nation.
I love my profilux. Have it since 2009. It does not have a lot of acronyms, but it has been bulletproof. I have never read of a catastrophic failure because of a Profilux error like Apex leaving a socket on. I did not even have to learn some programming language or ask other users if I programmed it correctly. I see Apex as the Hyundai of controllers. I would rather own a Mercedes, but to each his own.

Last edited:

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 76 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 24.8%
  • None.

Votes: 33 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.0%
Back