GHL setup on Mac & Propeller breeze control questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few questions I'd appreciate some help with: @Ditto @Vinny@GHLUSA ?

1) I recently upgraded to a new MacBook pro without USB ports, is it still possible to connect to P4 and dosers for firmware updates? (I do have boot camp and Win 10 installed). The issue is that I have to use a dongle with USB ports that is then connected to one of the native thunderbolt ports. When I run GCC to setup a new connection, there is no option in device manager to see a COM port. I was trying selecting AUTO, and changing ports but that didn't work. Is there a workaround or is it no longer possible to connect to P4 if using a newer Mac without USB ports?

2) Is there another way to update firmware but connecting via the USB cable?

3) would a Surface tablet or another windows based tablet work to accomplish this?

4) I got a propeller breeze 3 (excellent build quality and water resistance btw). I bought 1 controller 2.1, but would like to add a few more fans. Do I need to get a separate controller for each fan? I read that it's possible to control multiple units with 1 controller but don't quite understand what I'd have to do. If I get more controllers will the P4 be able to control multiple units? Also, any tutorials how to program P4 to control the speed based on the tank temperature? So far I was only running it on and off.

Thanks a lot!

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta love it when they take away one of the most basic USB ports. ;Facepalm

Even though the USB A port is not on the computer, you can still use their dongle to connect the USB A cable to the computer and your P4. If the computer is not detecting the connection, then it is probably a driver issue with the mac, dongle or windows emulator software. Even more so if the P4 connection worked prior to the computer change.

USB connection is still the most reliable way to transmit firmware data. A new method will be introduced once we feel it is stable and reliable enough for the public to use.

Any windows computer, even a $100 RCA windows tablet will do the job. It doesn't have to be anything fancy.

As for combining multiple breeze fans, although it is possible to run more than one fan off of the same PSU and PropellerControl accessory, you must still stay within the limits of the PSU. If you wanted to use more than one PropellerControl, this is possible too. If each controller should trigger the fans at different temperatures, this is doable also when you use virtual sensors.

Setup is very straightforward:
1. Connect PropellerControl to 1-10V port on P4
2. Connect to P4, go to 1-10V interface page, select the 1-10v channel where the fan is connected.
3. Set the function to Temperature -- Controller output
4. Go to temperature probe settings and specify when the fans should run at 100%, see 1-10v is max. at dev.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 15.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.0%
Back