GHL Users

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking about automating testing and dosing. I have an Apex classic, which means I would have to buy another apex system AND a Trident. That said, since the prices are about the same (and since I'm pretty ***** with Apex about the whole idea of having to buy another full system), I would like to hear reviews of GHL.

From what I have seen, GHL can be used stand alone. You dont have to buy a controller. So, Im thinking about the KH Director and the ION Director. I know the ION Director isnt out, but maybe there are some testers here that can give their thoughts.

Thanks

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im thinking about automating testing and dosing. I have an Apex classic, which means I would have to buy another apex system AND a Trident. That said, since the prices are about the same (and since I'm pretty ***** with Apex about the whole idea of having to buy another full system), I would like to hear reviews of GHL.

From what I have seen, GHL can be used stand alone. You dont have to buy a controller. So, Im thinking about the KH Director and the ION Director. I know the ION Director isnt out, but maybe there are some testers here that can give their thoughts.

Thanks

I personally love my KH Director. I test 5 times a day. It's super stable. Have had zero issues with it after I finally got it set up. Would definitely buy again if I had to make the decision all over again.

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly suggest that you don't go down the feed back loop path. It doesn't end well.

Learn about your tank and then do a push only system and test as validation. Using either the KH Director or the Trident should be fine. Just know that readings drift, dosers drift and you can not fully automate without some serious risk. I own the GHL Doser and will be purchasing the Proflux soon. Honestly I am not intersted in automated testing. Once you dial in a process then you shouldn't really need to be changing it.

OP
OP
joshwaggs

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I personally love my KH Director. I test 5 times a day. It's super stable. Have had zero issues with it after I finally got it set up. Would definitely buy again if I had to make the decision all over again.
So you have to use a Windows computer to set it up? Can it be set up with the app or without a computer?

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you have to use a Windows computer to set it up? Can it be set up with the app or without a computer?

I believe you can do everything from the app now to setup, but I haven't had to do that recently. Maybe @Vinny@GHLUSA or @Ditto can chime in. They're the experts. :)

OP
OP
joshwaggs

joshwaggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly suggest that you don't go down the feed back loop path. It doesn't end well.

Learn about your tank and then do a push only system and test as validation. Using either the KH Director or the Trident should be fine. Just know that readings drift, dosers drift and you can not fully automate without some serious risk. I own the GHL Doser and will be purchasing the Proflux soon. Honestly I am not intersted in automated testing. Once you dial in a process then you shouldn't really need to be changing it.
Yeah, I have a small tank and I have found the daily consumption. I dose by hand and check every couple days, but I would like to make sure that I can do the same thing while not home (vacation, play Jumanji again, travel, etc.)

HuduVudu

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I have a small tank and I have found the daily consumption. I dose by hand and check every couple days, but I would like to make sure that I can do the same thing while not home (vacation, play Jumanji again, travel, etc.)
I use the GHL doser 2.0 and as my process stablizes I just dump the goop in the dose bucket and forget about it.

Using the KH Director as just the way to view the alk is fine. I just don't suggest full automation. Also if you are on vacation, make sure that you can have someone to back up what your seeing on the GHL. A thought would be a camera on your tank so that you can get some visual indication of what is happening in the tank. I had a camera connected to a small computer that I ran through twitch.tv (you can use YouTube also). This will give you a feed back point to help ensure that nothing is going sideways.

Fun stuff. :)

esther

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the GHL doser 2.0 and as my process stablizes I just dump the goop in the dose bucket and forget about it.

Using the KH Director as just the way to view the alk is fine. I just don't suggest full automation. Also if you are on vacation, make sure that you can have someone to back up what your seeing on the GHL. A thought would be a camera on your tank so that you can get some visual indication of what is happening in the tank. I had a camera connected to a small computer that I ran through twitch.tv (you can use YouTube also). This will give you a feed back point to help ensure that nothing is going sideways.

Fun stuff. :)

Just curious. Why don't you recommend full automation? I have my KH Director managing my alk (it's in sync with 4 dosers based on alk... doses 4 part Triton Core-7). I haven't had any issues with it doing that. Quite the contrary. I don't have to think about my alk or dosing at all. It's fantastic.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@esther - setup and configuration can be fully done from the app. I have been able to configure a P4, doser 2.1 and the lx720x now all from the app. Firmware thou still requires the Laptop.

Ditto

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It not hard, just be prepared that it is different. Their are quite a few videos and examples now how to do things with GHL, including differences between Apex and GHL and the way they do things.

Even thou a older thread, some great examples how things are done between the two:

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind I only use the GHL doser 2.1.
It not hard, just be prepared that it is different. Their are quite a few videos and examples now how to do things with GHL, including differences between Apex and GHL and the way they do things.

Even thou a older thread, some great examples how things are done between the two:

I agree it's not hard, but I wished they made it as easy as Neptunes. I also hate that I can't view much dosing schedule via the app, but you can on Windows.

Last edited:

Steve1500

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be prepared to go through a steep learning curve with GHL. I have a Trident but use a GHL doser 2.1 because the Dos is too loud.
Were you able to connect your 2.1 doser to the trident? If so, how did you do it and are there any issues?

Other than dosing, most of my system runs on Apex so that is why I want the Trident. But, I dose using the GHL 2.1.

Thanks in advance!

haitian_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Were you able to connect your 2.1 doser to the trident? If so, how did you do it and are there any issues?

Other than dosing, most of my system runs on Apex so that is why I want the Trident. But, I dose using the GHL 2.1.

Thanks in advance!
You cannot connect both together. You will have to manage both separately

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back